1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF Remote and TV volume

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by SCFireFighter, Mar 2, 2009.

1. SCFireFighter

SCFireFighter Cool Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Hi Guys, the D* website states you can use their RF remotes to "Change channels from other rooms, fast-forward through walls and adjust volume through the floor".

I've got the RF set up, and I like it. However, what do I need to do/buy to allow my new Samsung 40" LCD 1080p display to receive RF for volume? So far it still requires me to beam to the TV, and it's actually rather picky at the angle I need to point too.

2. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    A couple of mirrors :) or one of those IR to RF transmitters. The RF function is most usefull if your receiver is feeding a TV in another room, not trying to watch te same TV from another room.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The remote can only operate the TV via IR. Your TV doesn't have any way of understanding the RF signals from the remote like the sat receiver does.

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Well the DIRECTV RF remote will only control the DIRECTV receiver RF.

I am trying to figure out what you are trying to do? Is the problem that you have to point it at a certain angle to get it to control the TV or are you trying to control the TV volume from a different room (if this is the case can I ask why)? Just trying to figure it out so we can help you.

If you do need to be able to use RF for your TV I believe the only option would be to get a universal remote that has an RF base unit. The remote will work RF with it and than the RF base unit will use IR blasters to control the TV or any other IR device.

5. SCFireFighter

SCFireFighter Cool Member

Feb 15, 2009
    What I'm ultimately trying to do is more easily adjust the volume of my TV. Like I said, I need to point my programmed D* remote at a very straight angle (almost at 90 degrees), which is a little annoying. That's all.

I realize my TV doesn't 'speak' RF, but I wondered if there was a gadget somewhere that could help convert the signals.

However, if the D* RF remote really only works with D* receivers, I'll rest my case.

6. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The DIRECTV remote will/should work fine with your TV but the DIRECTV can only control DIRECTV receivers RF. All other devices it can only control IR.

The only other option would be to get a IR blaster system. You would mount the IR sensor where it can receive the DIRECTV IR signal at a normal angle and put a IR blaster over the TV IR sensor.

Something like this...http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_selection.php?catcdID=5
    You would need an IR sensor, IR blaster, and IR system.

You should be able to find a cheaper setup though.