1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF remote for R-15

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by unsub, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unsub

unsub Legend

Dec 27, 2004
    is there any RF remote that will work with the R-15? a phone rep at Directv claimed you could buy one at Circuit City. I was under the impression that d* was going to make and sell them directly.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    As of right now... the RF functionality is disabled on the R15.
    It should be added in an upcomming software released.

So right now... no.

The R24 is the remote that is the RF equivilent of the R23

3. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Think it will work with aftermarket RF remotes? (I mean after it's activated) I really don't like the layout of the remote I currently have for the R15, even after using it for quite some time I still am never quite sure where some of the keys are and even if I do know some are so small and so close together I either hit the wrong one or I mash more then one.

4. Mr. Furious

Mr. Furious Legend

Feb 9, 2006
    Well, the Harmony H880 works very well with the R15, so I'd suspect that the H890 (basically an H880 with RF) would be a good choice.

It's a little salty, though.

5. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca

If you mean a RF universal remote communicating directly with R15 after its RF function is turned on? No, the only RF remote to EVER control the R15 is the Rf oem remote. Universal RF remotes only know one RF frequency, their own, which they use to communicate with its basestation. All RF universal remotes are IR only controlling remotes, but use RF to do it from afar.

6. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Why in the world would one pay $400 for the harmony one if it's only going to send a signal to the likes of an RF to IR blaster? Seems rather stupid to me.

7. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Same reason many other RFs are sold. You media cabinet/closet/or whatever does not have line of sight to your viewing area.

8. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I guess that makes sense. Guess I just don't have a big enough house or system to need that. I know when I was using just my A10 it was always hidden away in a cabinet so you never saw it.

9. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I would "doubt" that it would be able to work with any 3rd party RF Remotes... but until it is turned on... that is just an guess on my part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.