1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF Remote Mod for External Antenna to Increase Range of Oper

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jamwadmag, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Feb 9, 2011 #1 of 10
    jamwadmag

jamwadmag Mentor

Feb 9, 2011
    Got an HD upgrade on my Receiver (went from a R22 to a HD21) a few months ago and lost my range in controlling my Receiver from my master bedroom (about 30 ft thru 3 inside walls). Had no problem with the R22 receiver, but have with the new HD21, as many others have also complained about on various forums.

I decided to try modifying the 'new RC65R remote' that came with the new receiver (already had 2 RF remotes--1 LR/1 MBR) for an external antenna. The RF freq is 433 MHz per a forum mod on here, meaning that a 1/4 wavelength (WL)antenna would have to be about 7" (the actual remote internal RF antenna must be 1/8 WL as seen on the PCB run!). The inside of remote may be accessed by removing 6 screws--2 bottom, and 4 under gray oval trim that can be popped out. The RF PCB is piggy-backed onto the main PCB using sticky rubber mounts. Cut the PCB loop antenna 2 places (I 1st tried using Exacto knife, but then ground with a Dremel), scraped the solder mask over the 2 runs to get to the copper, and soldered 2 ends of an #18 solid Cu wire per attached dwg. Drilled a 1/4" hole in side of remote bottom, and ran loop thru to outside. Reassembled (had also used glue gun to keep wires on RF PCB apart and secure).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[I opted to use an 8" wire for xtra lead length dress/routing of wire]

Final result: Great RF control as had before with loop facing my LR receiver location. Dont know if it was just going external with the loop antenna; or probably more gain with 1/4 WL antenna vs. the internal 1/8 WL..??

B4 attempting this mod, know that you may ruin your remote and that you are responsible for opening it up if covered by a warranty. Altho, if one has basic soldering skills, this mod is a snap!

BTW, after verifying mod worked, I sealed 1/4" hole on side with glue gun.

2. Feb 9, 2011 #2 of 10
    Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

3. Feb 9, 2011 #3 of 10
    jgrade

jgrade Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Now if you could show us how to hold it properly to avoid attenuation. I assume you will be selling a proper case to avoid the dreaded "grip of death". Perhaps there is a job opening for an antenna expert at that little fledgling company in Cupertino.

Sorry couldn't help myself. (I really like my iPhone 4)

4. Feb 9, 2011 #4 of 10
    jamwadmag

jamwadmag Mentor

Feb 9, 2011
    So how does that iPhone4 work as a Directv RF Remote?!!:lol:

Since not dealing with a 'cell tower' in the GHz for the RF Remote-to-Directv Receiver communication, mod works like a 'directional Blue Tooth'......except, more range (100' unobstructed?)..:rolleyes:

5. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    Can you post some pictures of the remote ?

6. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Mentor

Feb 9, 2011
    Didnt the 2 pic attachments in the OP make it thru to you??

7. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    No it did not, but thats because I'm at work and the firewall must have blocked them. All I see is text. I'll check this thread from home.

8. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    Not that the FCC has the manpower to track you down, but keep in mind that making such modifications is a Federal Offense...

9. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Mentor

Feb 9, 2011
    I would suggest then that if DBSTalk doesnt want to be a party to this modification of an FCC Approved device, then they need to remove this thread.

As for me and my remote, I will.......:rolleyes:

Thank you, sungam (D* Tech Support) for the 'heads up'.......BTW, have your co. return to previous antenna designs (either a better placed internal or the external) in their Receivers that didnt leave their customers in the lurch when 'upgrading' (!!)....

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I can see the headlines now: Man gets 20 to life for tweaking his hardware. News at 11.