1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

rf remote problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by supermod38, Feb 12, 2014.

1. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    i have the hr34 genie, tried to program my RC65R remote to use in RF mode.

programing went well, remote light flashed just like the instructions said it would.
    however now the remote does not work at all.!!!! had to set it back to IR,

tried many times with another RC65r remote with the same result.
    have they done something funky with the software in the genie or am i just to damn old to know what i am doing??? :bang

2. coconut13

coconut13 Member

Apr 14, 2013
    I don't know how you went through the programming process, but you have to use the 6 digit receiver code to program to that specific receiver for RF. Just getting a remote in RF won't program it for a specific receiver. And I also noticed that you have an RC65R remote. You need an RC65RX remote. The X meaning it is RF capable. The RC65R remote is not capable of RF programming.

3. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    I did enter the six digit code on the remote.

this remote has ALWAYS worked in rf mode before so i don't understand your statement about a RC65RX.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The R after the number signifies that the remote is RF capable.
    The X means that it has 2 way communication with an HR24 or newer receiver.
    You do have to use the last 6 digits of the receiver code as part of the process.

The receiver has to be put in RF mode also. Go into the menu section for the remote and switch the receiver to RF mode first and then program the remote to RF.

5. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    all this was done.....................................just as you stated, just not getting a response after progaminmg and it will not work in IR until i change it back to IR....................

6. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    OK, problem solved.................... you should know that my age had a lot to do with this problem,!!!!!

I was not pointing the remote directly at the receiver therefore it was not taking the change. I just programed both RF rermotes to the HR34 with no problem.!!!

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Changing the Receiver to RF:
    Menu, Settings, Remote, choose IR/RF Setup and choose RF.

Then,
    Taken from the manual:

Activating the RF Transmitter
    To activate the RF transmitter on your DIRECTV Remote
    Control, perform the following steps:

1. Locate the 12 digit Receiver ID (RID) number of your DIRECTV Receiver. You can find the RID number on the back panel of your receiver, or inside the CAM access door next to the reset button.

2. Write down the last six digits of the RID number.

3. Slide the mode switch to DIRECTV, AV1, or AV2.

4. Press and hold the MUTE and SELECT keys until the green light under the selected switch flashes twice and release both keys.

5. Using the number keys, enter 9 6 1. (The green light flashes twice.)

6. Press and release CHAN. (The green light flashes twice.)

7. Using the NUMBER keys, enter the the last six digits of the RID number. (See step 2 above.)

8. Press and release the SELECT key. (The green light flashes twice.)

1 person likes this.
  8. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    i forgot the step that says you MUST point remote at the RECEIVER.!!!!

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I understand, I am 70.
    Thanks for the update and glad you got it working for you.

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not sure where you are getting this form as there is no need to point the remote at the receiver, only with the RC71. The change is done to the box via using the remote to navigate to the menus, and then another changed is done to the remote by the user not the receiver

11. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    I tried and tried to program the remote with NO luck until the remote was pointed at the receiver.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!