1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF Remotes?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sNEIRBO, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    I just ordered DirecTV service this morning. I got a GREAT deal that included -

HD DVR
    SD DVR
    Std STB (non-DVR) Receiver (I might use an old DirecTiVo receiver I still have instead)

The intent is to lay out the equipment like this -

HD DVR - HDTV in the media room, shared with under cabinet TV in Kitchen
    SD DVR - placed in my bedroom, but shared with kid's bedroom
    Std STB - for use in basement and behind bar

Do the DVRs come with two remotes? Are either / both of them radio frequency (RF) remotes? So that channels can be changed from other rooms?

If not, can RF Remotes be purchased from somewhere??

2. irie4ja

irie4ja AllStar

Oct 20, 2006
    they do not come with RF remotes.Ships with 1

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    My last HR20 came with an RC64R IR/RF remote, purchased about 6 weeks ago.

4. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    Will that RC64R work with all DirecTV DVRs? Or just the HR20?

I found those on eBay for cheap - I could order a couple from there if I need to.

5. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    It will work with all current RF capable receivers, which includes the only SD dvr the R15. No SD non-dvr receivers has RF remote capabilities.

6. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    What about the HD DVRs??

I just found these on Amazon Marketplace for $9.99. s/h was a little steep at $5.99 each, and kind of slow, with an expected delivery of 10 - 14 days. But it was hard to pass up 2 remotes for $32!

It looks like I can use my old TiVo box, I just need a new access card with DirecTV is sending out for FREE because I'm a "returning customer". I'll have to use an IR Extender to work that box between the kid's room and the bar in basement (where the TiVo will be located).

I bought two RC64Rs for use in my bedroom (the SD DVR will be in the basement hooked up to the big screen) and the kitchen (which will be hooked up the HD DVR).

7. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    The only receivers the RF white remotes like the rc64r will control via RF, are H10, H20, H21, HR20, and R15. It will not control a HD-tivo 10-250 via RF.

8. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    Thanks!

I'm guessing D* will be sending either an HR20 or an HR21 as my HD DVR . . . right?

And an R15 as my SD DVR . . . right?

The TiVo is mine from long ago, I know that only works off of IR, so I have to use an IR extender to get the remote signal up / down stairs.

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Those are the only HD DVR's that D* supplies. If you need OTA capability ask for the HR 20 as the HR21 does not have an OTA tuner.

10. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You do know that the HD receivers don't have a RF output so there is no channel 3/4 for the kitchen TV.

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You can get an inexpensive RF modulator (channel 3/4 output) at places like Radio Shack or Wal-Mart.

12. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    I've got an RF audio/video sender to get the signal into the Kitchen from the DISH Net HD DVR . . . I didn't like having a cable strung across the Kitchen floor . . . it kept tripping me when I was trying to put the eggs in the Fridge!! :lol:

Is there a standard RCA R/W/Y connection on the back of the DirecTV HD DVR?? That's all I need / use for the sender to get the signal to the Kitchen TV.

13. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    Yes, there is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.