1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

RG11 coupler

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by chefwong, Jan 15, 2014.

1. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    Off topic, but let's say RG11 is extended with a standard F connector - PPC ex11 connectors are on it.

Do I defeat the the extended rum of Rg11 since the connector is now of Rg6 - wire gauge ?

In my application, I plan to extend/terminate the run in a different room - so I plan to use a coupler to extended it ...

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    No, it doesn't matter. Loss is cumulative, not based on the most lossy component in a given run.

If you look at Sonora's site with all their high end MDU gear, you'll see a lot of color coded jumpers being used. The ones Sonora sells are RG59, because they know a short section of RG59 isn't a problem, even though these MDU installs are likely using RG11 for the trunk lines from the dish.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Depending how much power is being drawn across it, an undersized coupler could represent a lightweight fuse. If the "fuse" blew, both the voltage and signal losses would become very, very high.

RG11 is mostly about ampacity. The RF characteristics aren't that much different.

The ampacity of 21ga RG6 is about 7 amps where the ampacity of 14ga RG11 is around 28 amps.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    RG6 uses a 18 gauge center conductor, not 21. Unless you're using it to carry power well beyond what is needed for any satellite related needs, even if it was only capable of carrying 7 amps that wouldn't be a problem when the most it needs to carry in a Directv environment is 1 amp.

Thus, the RF characteristics are exactly why people use it, not due to current carrying. Go look up the loss at satellite frequencies for RG6 versus RG11 and get back to us on your uninformed claim.