1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RG6 cable prep for connectors

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I've put the old crimp on connectors on a loooong time ago, but haven't used the newer compression type yet, but just ran my 2 lengths of cable for my HR21 install this saturday, and thought I might put the connectors on to make it easy for the installer.......just hook up the box, and make sure everything is working o.k. This may sound like a dumb question, but after stripping the very end down to the copper center, I know you strip back some of the black outer jacket, but I've heard different opinions on the braided part. I've heard to take the black jacket off carefully, leaving so much of the braided part exposed, and then to fold that back over the outer jacket, so it gets a good contact with the connector. I'nve also heard to cut the outer jacket and braided part away evenly, and just push the connector down in between the braid and the white insulation. Which one is it, or does anyone have a simmple picture of how to prep the wire before putting on the compression connectors. I have the right wire stripper, good compression connectors, and the tool for compressing them, just want to do the stripping/prep the right way. I apologize for the lengthy question, and for not really asking it in a simple way, but hopefully it;s still clear what I'm asking. Thanks in advance! Any help much appreciated!

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I use a dual blade rotating wire stripper for coax from Lowes, home depot, etc. It's dirt cheap (like $10?) and makes the best and easiest strips for coax.

The outer layer of insulation should be stripped back to expose about 1/4" of the braid.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Easiest answer is to buy an inexpensive stripping tool designed specifically for that purpose. Clamp it around the coax, spin it about ten times, pull the cut portion off and you have the perfect coax end to stuff into the compression connector. Stripping tool should be available same place you bought the connectors and compression tool.

Carl

4. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I have the stripping tool, just curious as to what the proper way to deal with the braid is:)

5. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    And, do you fold that back over the outer jacket, or just leave it exposed, and that's the end of it?

6. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    I leave the braid alone--with one very important caveat. I look very closely to ensure the braid doesn't have any stragglers that short to the center conductor.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. turbrodude

turbrodude AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    I think if you're using RG6 Quad Shielded cable, then you're supposed to fold back the first layer of foil and braid, leaving the second layer of foil alone. But I would never use anything except compression connectors again. Go to cablesforless.com and buy the connectors and compression tool and stripper if you don't have one.
    Connectors:
    https://www.cablesforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=13599
    Tool:
    https://www.cablesforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=14340
    Stipper:
    https://www.cablesforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=14327

Crimp on connectors are crap in my opinion.

8. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I'm not using quad shield, and I have the tools..........and I set my stripper to RG6............says it's preset, but may need adjustment, depending on the cable and here's how it came out
    http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/metalliholic06/DSCF1315.jpg

the exposed braid is exactly half inch..........good? bad?
    Like I said, sorry to make a big deal out of what most of you probably consider a very simple thing.......I'm very anal and want to make sure it's right. I've had the tools and the compression connector,s just always end up getting some kind of HD upgrade, dish upgrade, etc., and D always does the work. I like doing this stuff, and just would like to get the cables all done before the guy gets here, and he can just concentrate on making sure the box works fine, signal strength, etc. Thanks, yet again!

9. rdiedrich

rdiedrich Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    I fold the braid back over the black part and then slide on the compression fitting and use the compression tool on it. :D

You should be good to go once you get those connectors on, the installer may put new ones on anyhow, so if you like you can leave it for them.

Randy

10. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    It really doesn't matter if you fold the braid back, leave it alone, or if your tool cuts off the exposed part. The connector will push up underneath the black insulation, making contact with the part of the braid that you can't see.

Personally, I use my thumb and index fingers to twist the it down a little bit to make sure that the braid doesn't come in contact with the center conductor.

11. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    So, the picture I posted looks fine........with a half inch exposed???

12. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    That looks like a bit much for most of the connectors I've seen. 1/4" is the more common number I've seen.

Cheers,
    Tom

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I bought some RG6 from Home Depot and connectors from Monoprice. However, I only had about a 50% success ratio on getting the connector to stay on the cable tightly. I ordered some Belden RG6 in order to re-run the cables within my house, prior to getting my 5LNB dish installed this weekend. I'm hoping that the problem was that the cable from Home Depot wasn't thick enough for a consistent good connection.

Has anyone else used the connectors from Monoprice? If so, did you have similar problems?

14. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    The connectors with the black ring are bigger than those with the blue ring.

15. MIMOTech

MIMOTech Legend

Sep 11, 2006
    If you fold back the outer shield you will compromise the seal and allow moisture to get into the connector. The snap ring forms a seal with the outer insulator to keep out the moisture.

16. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
  17. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
  18. redwoode

redwoode AllStar

Oct 16, 2007
    Well crap. I just did a do-it-yourself install with Belden 1694A and T&B blue compression fittings but folded the braid back before applying fittings and compressing. Maybe I'd better cut ones outside off and apply new connectors without messing with the braid at all?

19. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
  20. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, the stripper has presets, and it's set for RG6..........I'll fool around with it and hopefully get it cutting a little less off of the braid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.