1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robert Mercer: "Eventually all high-def channels will be delivered via MPEG4"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by VeniceDre, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 15
    VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Here's a link to it:

http://www.tvpredictions.com/tivoupgrade080307.htm

We all know this was pretty much the case but I wish there was a timeframe.

Now hopefully people holding on to their HR10-250s thinking they'll still get the new HD channels will make the upgrade.

2. Aug 3, 2007 #2 of 15
    Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Some people never seem to get the word on things :( They need to come here so they can be well informed :)

3. Aug 4, 2007 #3 of 15
    morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    The HR10-250 will always be an excellent SD DVR (and even OTA stuff). Until I don't have a SD TV in the house (that will be a loooong time) it will have a home here. Since it was free over a year+ ago that is what I always had in mind for it.

But, for the HD -- it is, and has been, nearly obsolete for a very long time. September is just one step closer to the final death knell. With each new HD TV however, another HR20 (or whatever is the flavor of the day) will magically appear in my house :).

If TiVo ever did get in bed with DTV/Liberty I'd switch back in a heartbeat.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 15
    Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I have heard so many wonderful things about TiVo :) I guess D kind of missed the boat there or something. I don't really know what happened :confused:

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 15
    HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    And eventually we will all have more bandwidth via internet than we need so we won't need D* via satellite.

His point?

Useless story.

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 15
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Might be just part of the education process. There are still A LOT of people who have no clue that in 562 days their TVs will go dark. Useless info to me, but not too others.

As for 3GHz of bandwidth via internet (which converts to an ungodly bitrate), I don't see that coming anytime soon to my home. FIOS isn't even on the horizon that I've been able to find.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 15
    HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    FIOS now has customers with speeds in excess of 20Mbps.

10 years ago that wasn't on the horizon either.

But again, as stated, Mr. Mercer used the words "eventually" and "eventually" 3GHz of bandwidth via the internet will be common place as well.

8. Aug 6, 2007 #8 of 15
    Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Eventually absolutely. But my FIOS availability is in excess of 10 years and FIOS is still far less than 3GHz. There is eventually and then there is *eventually as in some very distant time* :)

Cheers,
    Tom

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 15
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Full HD won't happen in five to eight years because regular people just don't care.

10. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I love your blanket statements :rolleyes:

I know a lot of "regular" people who would love to have HD but can't afford it and keep waiting for display prices to decrease.

Also the link was in regards to people who already have HD with the HR10-250 MPEG2 receiver.

11. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    But I also think that most of the reporting on Swanni's site is useless and second-hand reporting...

But sometimes he does have some useful reporting... I like when someone's thread of upcoming HD content showed up there channel for channel... I wonder who's was it? :D

He also must be in bed with Amazon.com since every post these days links a HD display sale at their site.

12. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    Actually, Mercer is 100% wrong - as TV Channels via ATSC will not be delivered in MPEG4 - ever.

By the time they decide to change, MPEG4 will be long gone.

13. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm pretty sure he was only talking about D* delivered HD. He never mentions OTA or ATSC, at least in the article linked by the OP.

14. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    The title of the thread says "all high def channels" and does not discriminate.

If the thread title is incorrect, then VeniceDre posted it incorrectly.

15. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    I'm not quite sure you quoted me in your first post above. Nor do I understand why you get terribly nit picky in this thread and yet posted this same article in your own thread elsewhere. :)

You are correct, OTA will most likely never be MPEG4 for exactly the reasons you mention.

As to how accurately the article was written or how correctly Robert Mercer was quoted regarding the "all HD" I can't say. But VeniceDre, Swammi, and Robert did get their point across; at least to many people.

Cheers,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.