1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Roku 3 update lets you search for movies and more with a smartphone

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Athlon646464, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Roku 3 update lets you search for movies and more with a smartphone

Roku baked its comprehensive search feature into its mobile apps last month, but only folks who used it with the firm's HDMI Streaming Stick have been able to enjoy life without wielding a remote to hunt and peck for letters. Starting today, however, more of the outfit's hardware is getting some love: an update is trickling out to Roku 3 devices that'll enable the search feature with the apps.

Everyone should have the update on their Roku 3's by April 22, with other devices in the lineup getting the enhancement in the coming weeks.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    Engadget

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Unless I missed it, the article left out the most important feature of the Roku 3 search function
    - the capability to simultaneously search across multiple platforms, e.g., Netflix, Hulu, Amazon,
    Redbox, Blockbuster, Crackle, Popcornflix, etc. with a single click.

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    It does search multiples but does not search everything. It would be nice if it were more obvious what it does and does not search.

4. Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
  5. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    I'm fairly certain I've seen Redbox Instant and Blockbuster search results as well.

6. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
  7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    That is not what I meant. I meant in the results themselves. Maybe show every channel it searched with a zero for a result or a list of the things not searched. The first would be better.

8. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    How would that information be useful?

9. loudo

loudo DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    I just wish they would get on the stick and get a mobile app for Windows phones.

10. Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    I read your post and provided the official Roku link to what they state is supported.