1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roku Channel like Time Warner

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rtm, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
  2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Directv sees Roku as a competitor as it's used a lot by cord cutters. I personally love the Rokus and use them on all of my TVs on a different input than Directv which gives me the best of both worlds.

3. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    This stuff is all the same... you need a subscription to cable and have to be on a Time-Warner cable network for internet. And then, it only works when you're home.

This is nothing "open" about this. Hell, I'd be surprised if they don't figure out how to re-coup the monthly fees they'd lose on the cable box rentals too.

As a matter of fact, this is in their best interest considering it gets them closer to finally turn off the analog channels and finally get back some bandwidth--then maybe their HD won't look so terrible. So that's something...

4. Combat Medic

Combat Medic Legend

Jul 27, 2007
    Be nice to have instead of a C31.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Can't pause/RW/FF, no guide, can't record, can't play recordings....

Yup, that'd be a great replacement. :nono:

6. Combat Medic

Combat Medic Legend

Jul 27, 2007
    Not seeing those limits in the linked article. Nor are they in the hypothetical requirements doc for the hypothetical DirecTV Roku app.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_...cable-box-for-time-warner-customers-hands-on/

8. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
  9. gigahurtz

gigahurtz New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    I really don't understand those who are knocking this idea. I think it's a great idea. For those who don't have a line run to a certain room and don't want to pay the installation costs + receiver costs, this would work perfectly. DirecTV already has the technology in place as referenced by their iPad app. This would be a welcomed addition, assuming you don't have to pay a fee for the Roku month to month.

10. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    I was including elaborating on this idea. The directv remote working with this and it connecting to the Genie not streaming from Internet.

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I am not knocking it, but just pointing out that it would not be a great replacement for the C31. If DIRECTV came out with a Roku app, I'd get a Roku, but put it on a TV that didn't currently have a receiver, not replace a current DIRECTV device of any kind.