1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ROKU new and old users?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by scredsfan, Mar 22, 2011.

1. scredsfan

scredsfan AllStar

Feb 10, 2006
    I just jumped on the Netflix wagon train, and now I'm seriously considering buying a roku device. Specifically, I'm looking at the XD|S model with optical audio output. Are there any new or experienced ROKU users out there who love it? hate it? wish it were better?

2. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I own a Roku and overall for the cost I am very impressed. It's simple to operate and you can watch Netflix as you said. But you can also watch Al Jezera English, MLB (if you have the mlb online package), listen to Pandora radio, Hulu Plus, etc. It's pretty simple to set up and operate. I was quickly able to explain the operation to my family. I have used the ease of use with Netflifx much better than XBox.

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I have the Roku HD, works well, easy to set up and use. To watch HD content, from Netflix, you need at least 5.0 high speed connection. I have noticed, in the past few weeks that the Netflix srvers can get busy and the PQ can drop from HD back to SD. Seems to only do it during peak hours. I have checked my line speed when this happens and my end has been good each time this drop off occurs.

4. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    We've had the original Roku (equivelant to the current Roku HD) for over two years. We love it. It's a great little device that delivers a LOT of bang for the buck.

Our favorite channels:

Netflix
    MLB.tv
    Crunchyroll (for Anime)
    Flixter (for movie trailers)
    TuneIn Radio

5. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    I have two XDS boxes and love them. Far better Netflix interface than our bluray player, hundreds of other channels, thousands of shows, Youtube in HD. Lots of deals on rentals from Amazon also. We have friends in Japan and have been able to watch live streams from NHK (English) since the earthquake. It is not a replacement for satellite or cable but a great addition.

6. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I picked up an HD box about 3 months ago and love it. Like others have said, they are super easy to use. The only issue I had was a bad firmware Roku released in November (I think it was November). Basically, the thing rebooted at least once every time I tried to watch anything from NetFlix. Roku fixed the issue with a firmware update and I haven't had a reboot since then.

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Had my Roku XDS for a couple months now...works like a charm.
    It's a no-brainer...just do it. :icon_bb:

8. A_Bear

A_Bear AllStar

Jun 16, 2011
    I am also looking at getting a Roku box, any model that is not recommended?

9. BodyshotsByDan

BodyshotsByDan Cool Member

May 28, 2011
    New Roku 2s kinda suck because they don't have as much connectivity as the old boxes. Sure, on the expensive ones you can play Angry Birds, but you can play that pretty much anywhere so who needs to spend $150 for it.

If you have spare HDMI ports, or you are gonna plug it into Component connections, then the new Roku2 cheap one is fine. If you need Composite or S-Video, try finding an old box, they still work fine :) My mother has been using the one I bought her for X-mas a few years ago on an almost daily basis.

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I bought a Panny DMP-BDT110 instead.

Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, Amazon, Skype and is an excellent Blu Ray player (including 3D and 2D to 3D conversion, if you like). All for less than $100.

11. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I love my ROKU never had any problems and easy to use

12. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    +1
    And if you sell the included (via mail) Avatar 3D disc on Amazon for $100, the player is free! Mine sold on ebay a few months back within a couple of hours for $120.

It doesn't have as many streaming options as Roku, but has the major ones as spartanstew said. One minor correction though, the Panny has Vudu, not Hulu. They keep promising Hulu, but it hasn't happened yet.

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Oops, yes, my bad.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    By "HD", do you mean the 720p content or did they finally get 1080p? Haven't used my last one in a while.

Rich

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had three Rokus, sold two of them as soon as I found out that the Samsung BD player, model 5500 upscales NetFlix content much better than any other device I've used. I've tried the Rokus, Apple TVs, Sony BD players, the Panny BD65 and the 110 and, while I have found a lot to dislike about the 5500s the PQ is simply better than any others I've tried. And in the end, isn't that what really counts?

Try putting an old 4:3 TV program such as Cheers or the first seasons of L&O:SUV on any of the devices I've listed above and you'll see a washed out, fuzzy picture. On the Sammy 5500s, you see an upscaled picture (still 4:3) with vibrant colors. Puts out great upscaling when using standard DVDs too.

I'd never buy another Roku.

The 5500s cost $93 today on Amazon. Just give it a try, you can always return it.

Rich

16. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    I’m an Apple TV2 guy. However, those new Roku2 players sure look nice.

17. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I want to try one just because you seem to hype it up so much. ;)

18. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1

19. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Doesn't your Oppo BDP-93 support Netflix? I'd guess that would have the best Netflix A/V quality out of any player on the market.

20. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Netflix isn't providing them the same stream as they do for other brands. Apparently, the PS3 has the best A/V for current Netflix streaming. This is the one "drawback" of the Oppo. It's not bad by any means, in fact, it's very good. Vudu is freaking beautiful on it. I used a free credit for Limitless and was amazed.