1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROKU vs Apple TV

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Chris Blount, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    The other day I was comparing the picture quality on my ROKU and Apple TV. Both are hooked up through HDMI.

It was kind of funny. The ROKU had a slightly better picture qulity in HD (and I do mean slightly) but the Apple TV does a much better job of upconverting standard definition content. Therefore, it seems I need both. :)

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Hi Chris, which Roku are you using? The picture quality has always been Awesome. I have the Original and I just bought about 3 months age the XD. I love them both

And I would like to say how happy I am with this great new forum going live, congratulations.

BTW I'm Oldschoolecw from your DBSTalk forum

3. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Welcome to the forum and thanks!

I have the ROKU XDS. I agree, the picture quality is awesome. It's just interesting to me the differences between the two (ROKU and Apple TV). I guess maybe its more noticeable to me since I'm using a 106" projection system. Both systems work well though. No doubt about that.

4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    With the USB hookups on your unit, could you plug a hard drive into it and play downloaded content from Amazon VOD that you purchased so you wouldn't have to stream what you own on a hard drive?

5. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Interesting. Haven't tried that yet. I guess I have a weekend project. :)

6. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Cool keep us informed

7. jwt00011367066122

jwt00011367066122 New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    I want to compare MLB tv, but RoKu doesn't have the spring training package and Apple TV does.

8. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    While I didn't have it last year, earlier this year I was able to watch games from the playoffs last year on my Roku(XD). At the time I had a PS3 and Samsung BD-C6900 to compare to(I now have a Boxee box as well). In comparing the 3, I felt the PQ was just about the same on the PS3 and Samsung, while the Roku seemed a tick worse(grainy). Not much, but just enough to be noticeable. The other limitation that I don;t like on the Roku is the lack of being able to see previous seaons games and I hear last year you were only able to view games from the previous 7 days.

I hope they do better this year. Overall I actually like the Samsung the best because the interface, while not as fancy as the PS3, is easier/faster to navigate than the PS3. The Boxee Box is pretty good, but what is BAD on the Boxee is they don't have a Goto Inning feature and their rewind/FF function are screwy.

9. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Hi Chris, were you able to try out the hard drive and Amazon VOD idea yet?

10. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Didn't get the chance. The weekends are not long enough. :)