1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rooftop antennas

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by goodnite_brbk, Dec 31, 2011.

1. goodnite_brbk

goodnite_brbk New Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Recently, I canceled my cable service and I am ecstatic at the money I am saving. I hooked up the old vhf antenna to a digital converter box but the best I can get out of it is 480i. Without starting an account with time Warner, direct TV, or dish network, is it possible to convert a TV signal from local network stations that broadcast in hi-def so that I can plug the antenna into a component 1080i compatible TV?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just plug the antenna into the TV if it has a digital tuner, and do a channel scan on the TV. If the TV does not have a digital tuner, it would be cheaper to buy a new TV that has one, than try to find an HD TV tuner for it. There are some free guide data HDTV DVRs, but they are few and far between.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Check ChannelMaster OTA DVRs: one (7000 PAL) is re-branded dish DTVpal DVR [TR-50] , other one from same reseller - new model 7401, both support HDMI and has 720p/1080i support.

4. Jan 3, 2012 #4 of 12
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    You probably need a uhf or uhf/vhf antenna rather than vhf only, depending on what channels your HD stations already use. Digital converter boxes -- the ones sold when stations shut off almost all VHF channels -- don't support anything above 480i. Also, if you were using twin leads from your antenna to your TV, replace that with coax. I did so and get great OTA on two HD sets with my 40-year-old rooftop antenna.

5. Jan 8, 2012 #5 of 12
    goodnite_brbk

goodnite_brbk New Member

Dec 31, 2011
    So, these DVR devices contain a digital tuner a well as 720p support?

6. Jan 8, 2012 #6 of 12
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    First and foremost, does your TV have an ATSC tuner? If not, you'll have to geteither an HDTV converter or a DVR such as a TiVo Premiere. To determine your antenna needs, you need to go to TVFool.com to find out what stations you can receive and their true broadcast channel assignments. You'll discover the direction the stations are from your location, distance, etc. Based on that information, you'll be able to determine what kind of antenna you'll need.

7. Jan 8, 2012 #7 of 12
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yep.

8. Jan 8, 2012 #8 of 12
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    and 1080i too ... and dual tuners ... and 6-7-8 days TVGOS guide ...

9. Jan 9, 2012 #9 of 12
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    1. Exactly what's the make/model of your TV?
    2. Why are you hooking up your antenna to a converter box? Hook it directly to your TV.
    3. 90% of DTV stations are UHF. Get a good UHF antenna. I use the SquareShooter successfully.

My brother has been doing exactly what you want for years now and he's very happy. His only TV cost is Netflix/Hulu.

10. goodnite_brbk

goodnite_brbk New Member

Dec 31, 2011

I have a Mitsubishi 1080i big screen (projection) TV. It doesn't have a digital converter, so what I meant to say was that my old vhf/uhf rooftop antenna must be digitized thru a digital tuner. Since I'm considering a DVR too, thought I would ask if they're able to increase the resolution from 480 to 1080 as well as to function as a digital tuner.

Yes I'm learning now that most channels are UHF. I really need to upgrade my antenna.

11. goodnite_brbk

goodnite_brbk New Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks for the reference. Is this device imported or made in the USA? I've already found a local distributer, on their website, for it but haven't had time to drive out their to read the packaging.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    First two are developed in UK by echostar (mfg in third countries as usual), third one - I don't have the info, but looks like it's came from Asian development/mfg.