1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rose Parade in 3D

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RAD, Dec 25, 2011.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Looks like n3D, channel 103, has the parade on 1/2 at 11AM EST.

2. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Thanks RAD I'll be watching.

3. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    It bothers me that HGTV is saying that the Rose parade is moving to a "new" day. It's only moving because January 1 is a Sunday. It's not like that hasn't happened before.

But it's cool that it's going to be broadcast in 3D. I'll have to check that out.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've got both set up to record. And Myselfalso, apparently any time New Year's Day is on a Sunday, the parade is on a Monday.

5. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Has to do with the beginnings of the parade, back when it first started the organizers didn't want to disrupt the people going to church on a Sunday so they simply moved it to Monday. Finally a tradition that hasn't been abandoned.

6. clueless

clueless Legend

Dec 6, 2004
    Also the Rose Bowl in on Monday (probably because the NFL wanted their games on Sunday).

7. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Other way around -- college bowl games not being played on January 1 when it falls on a Sunday is a practice that predates the NFL's season extending into January. (And it was even more noticeable back when the bowl calendar wasn't so spread out.)

8. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    this is excellent news. thanks rad!

9. RDH416

RDH416 Legend

Oct 24, 2007
    Always wanted to see those Rose Bowl floats in person, 3D should be the next best thing. Will definitely watch!

10. MikeS.

MikeS. AllStar

Dec 3, 2010
    The wife and I worked for the Tournament of Roses for 6 years as "runners" or gofers. That was a fun job that paid decently and we got great seats for the parade and game.

Then we moved to WVa...

11. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    For those with 3D glasses from Sony and Xpand that use 2032 batteries, if you haven't checked them in weeks, you may want to go buy some before the parade. Those little batteries only last a few months even when non-use. Apparently the glasses draw current even when sitting in the drawers, and turned off.

12. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Exactly! The tradition began in 1890 when it was just the Rose Parade. Organizers feared that horses in the parade and those who were tied up outside churches along the parade route may disrupt one another so they decided to hold the parade a day later. When the Rose Bowl came along many decades later, they decided to stick with tradition. Other bowl games followed suit.

13. Plasman

Plasman AllStar

Jan 1, 2006
    I'm watching now. Quite good in 3D! But I'm getting a "not authorized" when trying to record. Anyone else getting this?

14. mynameisjason

mynameisjason Cool Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Recording fine for me.

15. Plasman

Plasman AllStar

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks. Rebooted DVR and now it is recording.

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I hope y'all enjoy the 3D Experience as I am going to buy the Sharp Elite 60" LED 240 Hz #d HDTV and I can't wait to experience 3D particularly during a Football Game or The Masters Golf Tournament.

17. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I wasn't too impressed today by the parade in 3D. To give the 3D effect, they had to keep all aspects of the parade at a distance, obviously to provide depth. Also announcing on the HGTV feed wasn't nearly as good as ABC's on the main channel, without 3D.

But you will really enjoy sports in 3D. Football and basketball are quite good. But the Masters was excellent last year. You can see the greens adjulation (sp?) clearly in 3D. You cannot see that without 3D.

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Thanks N4RP, and the word is UNDULATION as in the topographical change of elevation in the Greens Dimension.

Can't wait to get one but it will probably be 3 to 4 months before I bite the bullet.

Happy New Year!!! See ya in Vegas. :)

19. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I watched the parade. Generally the 3D was pretty good. You could tell some of it was either not 3D or "fake" 3D but there were some shots that looked great.

The whole thing still seems kind of gimicky but it was still fun to watch.

20. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    Recorded as well and will be watching today or tomorrow. To reiterate what NR4P said, the 2011 Masters was the most impressive 3D I've seen. I still have it saved and use it to show off what 3D is all about.