1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

router suggestions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by David MacLeod, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1 of 10
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I will need to replace my netgear fvs318v3 vpn router firewall soon.
    looking for something with similar attributes (gigabit of course :) ) and would appreciate suggestions. ability to integrate seamlessly with a Dynamic DNS is REQUIRED.
    EDIT: vpn access capability required too.

I am bound to an Actiontec dsl modem per ISP, this is fully open (no security/nat/anything) and passes off to the netgear. any new item needs to be able to fit into that setup.
    also, dual wan is useless since I only have 1 broadband in the town and I CAN"T get a business line. this is why the dy-dns is needed.

it does not need a lot of ports (4 is probably safe #) as it goes from the router/firewall to cascaded 16 port gigbit switches.

any recommendations are appreciated.

2. Jun 4, 2008 #2 of 10
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I replaced my Linksys WRT54G a few weeks ago with a Linksys WRT600N. It has been great so far and the four etherent connection are gigabit.

It is a wireless N router and it can do 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time.

You can also connect a USB drive to the router for media share but I haven't played with that yet.

3. Jun 4, 2008 #3 of 10
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    does it have integrated dynamic dns settings for auto logon?
    does it do vpn duties?

4. Jun 4, 2008 #4 of 10
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Honestly I don't know. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer this.

5. Jun 4, 2008 #5 of 10
    phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    What do you mean by VPN duties? Do you want it to be able to terminate a VPN endpoint? Or are you just looking for something that does VPN passthrough?

6. Jun 5, 2008 #6 of 10
    funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    David - Since you mentioned the Netgear FVS318 I believe I know what you are looking for. I don't think that you would be happy with anything less than what you have now features wise.

With that said, I am one of the lucky ones that has FIOS and based on this I needed to upgrade my Firewall as well. I was using Netscreen Firewalls which I believe are the best Firewalls out there (I know personal opinion) but I was limited to only 10Mb / Sec which isn't going to cut it with the 50Mb/Sec FIOS Offerings I can get. So the hunt began!

My criteria were something that would support the full speed of FIOS both now and in the foreseeable future (which is 120Mb/Sec with current equipment), Dynamic DNS (which ultimately I did not need as my FIOS Router supports it) and VPN Capabilities (Both Gateway to Gateway as well as Client to Gateway).

I tested several different companies versions with the most promising ones being the Linksys RV082 and the Netgear FVS338. Both of these only have 100Mb Interfaces so I do exactly what you do and uplink to managed Gig Switches.

Basically my strongest suggestion would be the big brother to your 318 which is the Netgear FVS338 which is a great Firewall / Router / VPN device. This meets all of your criteria (VPN / Dyn DNS) but lacks the Gig Connection. It has 90+ Mb/Sec throughput without any encryption and up to 60Mb/Sec throughput with 3DES encryption.

I currently have them connecting 3 different sites together and I love them. I also use their included client to connect remotely and it is a great client with great performance. Since Netgear released version 2 of their GUI it is has been a dream using them. Now version 3 is even a little more polished even though some issues have been reported.

Honestly the Linksys RV082 has a little better throughput for 3DES VPN connections but it doesn't come with a real VPN Client it only comes with a lame ass wrapper for the build in Windows PPTP Client which has almost no security. Also the GUI for the linksys is a freaking joke.

Since our Internet Speeds are going to continue to increase we will eventually see various devices that will provide us with higher performance / throughput.

Hope this helps

7. Jun 5, 2008 #7 of 10
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    funhouse69, thanks-this is extremely similar to my issue. eerily so :)
    I actually am looking at the 338, glad you mentioned that. the 318 I presently have has been acting flaky last week or so and its very limited in throughput speed. the 90/60 of the 338 was one reason I was looking at that. the 318 has been dropping to 12 +/- lately even on non-encrypted lan traffic. also seem to have come up against a hard wired port rule limit. I don't use the generic built in access rules, I configure my own.

phat78boy, the 318 does both I believe. netgear has its own client app or with the config info xp built in vpn does work too. handles encryption at the router or can, supposedly, offload it. never tried offloading so I can't really attest to it.

along with the 338 I am looking at the fvs124g due to gigabit lan. just started looking a few days ago so I don't have a lot of info yet.

thanks all, I appreciate the input.

8. Jun 5, 2008 #8 of 10
    funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    Wait the fvs124g you mentioned might have Gig Lan Ports but its throughput is going to be the same if not worse than your old one. It is stated in the Specs that it is only 11.5Mps LAN to WAN which is horrible. Do yourself a favor and get the FVS338 you won't be disappointed.

Also I don't remember if the 318 offered SNMP / RMON or not but the 338 Does and I use it along with all of my other managed devices so I can monitor their throughput.

9. Jun 5, 2008 #9 of 10
    funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    One last comment on the FVS338 besides how relatively inexpensive this device is lets not forget The Netgear Lifetime warranty on this class of product.

Man now if only I could get them to pay me for my glowing review :D

And no I an not in anyway associated with them. I do however have one of the Linksys RV082 if anyone is interested (if was one of the units we got for testing). Needless to say we've sold all of them since then but for a single site I think they would be fine.

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I just saw that lan-->wan throughput item on the 124, that surprised me since it replaces the 338 in their lineup.that may not be a big issue on my end for a few years since 3 Mb is the fastest speed in this town and it will be at least another full year before it goes to 6. there will probably never be cable here.

I am taking a very close look at the 338 this week, I want to compare lan-lan throughput speeds between this and the 124. I don't know if the 124 has SNMP / RMON, that is something I need to check. heck, I don't remember if my 318 has it either, does have some snmp tracing ability.