1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router to Switch to DECA possible?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by GenTso, Aug 29, 2010.

1. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    I've searched the forums and cannot seem to find this answered elsewhere.

Because of the number of internet-capable devices and a limit of two ethernet lines running to the router, I currently have an ethernet line running from the router to a 5-port switch.

From the switch, one line serves as the broadband input to the DECA network. The other line from the switch goes to the TV, which supports internet widgets (and makes for easy firmware upgrades).

The problem is that when I introduce the switch into the equation, my receivers lose sync for MRV. They "see" each other in that on my H24 I can see the playlists for the H23 and HR24, but when I try to play a program from either location, I get the "lost connection to [location]" message.

Immediately after the losing connection message I cannot see the playlists, but it reappears within an hour or so.

What would be the problem here? The router is properly issuing IP addresses for all connected devices.

In the room with the H24, the tech installed the power inserter for the SWM. From there it goes to the H24. Could that affect the signal from the other IRDs on the network?

Everything works and is in sync when the switch is not introduced into the equation. The process of unplugging all devices, and starting one, making sure it works, then starting another, etc. doesn't fix the problem. Am I missing something here?

Why would the introduction of a switch make WHD lost sync .. or at least appear in sync at times, but lose sync at othes? Am I overlooking something?

2. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    You shouldn't be having these issues. Where is the sat line at the switch connected to? Is it run to a splitter at the dish?

3. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    I think you may misunderstand me. I mean a network switch or 10/100 ethernet switch.

4. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    I understand exactly what you mean. Where is the coax leg attached to? It should be coax to a deca adapter to a network switch. Is that the way it set up?

5. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    You should also have a PI there.

6. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    Yes, that's the way it is setup. Coax to deca adapter to network switch to router.

Maybe I need to move the SWM PI to the coax run with the deca adapter? Is that what you're saying? The deca PI is already in the correct location.

The problem is intermittent. For example, I checked before writing the OP. When I tried to view recordings from other rooms on the H24, it lost connection. I just tried again and was able to watch recordings from the HR23 and HR24.

What could be the cause of such inconsistency?

7. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    I'm sure this is annoying. Just to close the case on the broadband DECA: Where is the coax line run to from the network switch? Is it run to your splitter at the dish?

Do all your receivers have unique IP addresses with appropriate matching subnet mask, default gateway and DNS entries?

8. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    Yes. No other device on that coax run

Yes, their IP addresses are distinct to the home network, not the 209.xxx.x.x designation that is native to them. I can go into my router and see them labeled individually.

BTW, thanks for your help.

9. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    No problem. Have you see any other connectivity issues from any other devices connected at the switch like your PS3? Maybe you're having an issue with the switch or the ethernet cable which connects it to the router.? Hope you get it straightened out.

10. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    Well the PS3 is connected to another ethernet line from the router. I made mention of it in the first post, but didn't offer any further details.

To answer the question, no I haven't noticed any other issues. With the PS3 I seem to have a problem with packet loss on occasion, but I think that is an ISP issue (I can plug the PS3 into the modem itself and still get lag/packet loss).

I kind of want to have my cake and eat it, too. What I should do is connect the ethernet line directly to the DECA. The other line I have going directly to the PS3 should be connected to the switch with one line to PS3 and the other to TV. I'm a big game, though, so I want as few devices as possible connected to the PS3 to eliminate bottlenecks and reduce lag.

I still don't understand why this is happening though.

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Actually, though it was supposedly designed for minimal impact, some here have had connectivity issues typically with the new H/HR24 series boxes when trying to connect the MRV cloud to their Home router/ethernet switch.

Though debatable as to why the only ultimate solution was to just use static IP addresses outside the router's DHCP range on all the DirecTV boxes.

You may have to do this as well at least until DirecTV remedies this situation.

12. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    Thanks, Hotat2, I'll try that.

What you mean by outside the router's DHCP range? If I have my router set to issue no more than 50 IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100, then my router will issue IP addresses in the 192.168.1.100-150 range. So I should go outside of that range (ex: 192.168.1.175) for the static IP addresses so that the router doesn't become confused and issue the same IP for two devices?

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Correct, or you may assign static IP address underneath that range if you wish. For the receivers DNS addresses you may use the same as the router's which are from your ISP, or the OpenDNS addresses of 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220

14. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    Yeah, I usually use either Open DNS or Google DNS servers unless my ISP does a ninja change of address back to their own servers.

15. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    Chalk another win up to static IP addresses. Things seem to be holding steady for the time being.

16. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    do you have a PI at the Internet DECA also? You have to have one there in addition to your SWM PI.

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Just as another tidbit, you can set up static DHCP addresses (or sometimes called reserved DHCP addressing). In this case, you use DHCP to set the IP addresses for your receivers, but there is a setting on the router so that it always assigns the same IP address. The benefit of this is that most routers will show you what DHCP connected devices are attached and if you use straight static IP addressing, you can't see a list of those devices through the router admin software.

- Merg

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    This was also tried by some with this issue, but the problem still persisted of receivers suffering random disconnects from the MRV network every time the BB DECA dongle was attached. Particularly the H/HR24 series, leaving the only solution as a last resort thus far of forgetting about any form of DHCP altogether and assigning static IPs to all the DirecTV boxes.

True, which is why one may have to use a program like "Network Magic" or some other to monitor the connected clients and other status of their home network when using static IPs this way instead of relying on the router's administration info.

19. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I'd recommend setting static IPs outside of the DHCP pool. Everytime my DHCP lease ran out, I think my receivers lost connection to each other.

20. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I have occasionally had networking issues with both DHCP and static addressing, but have had zero addressing issues since setting up my router to reserve DHCP addresses for each Directv box (reserved according to MAC address). This way they always get the same address.