1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rule change for non home address location

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kocuba, May 6, 2012.

1. May 6, 2012 #1 of 21
    kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    OK I have a question in regards to say using my Directv receiver out at my camper.

I have a camper about 30 miles or so from my home. Been there for years, but never used any of my receivers out there, knowing the rules of usage outside of the home address. Also I only have access to the 110 Sat thru a group of trees.

Well today I pull into the campground and low and behold a DirecTV rep is sitting there to sign up people.

I ask about the usage away from the home address and he said that they have relaxed the rule to within 30 miles or so of the home address. Also asked him about my inability to hit anything but 110 and he said that they are looking to setup "cluster" antennas and have multiple campers on them.

So I'm wondering is this guy just blowing smoke or have something changed. Also assuming that they do these cluster antennas, I'm assuming that they will need to have some sort of power going to them some way. Just don't think I would want to trust someone else to have the power inserter and then disconnect for some reason before I'm done using and then lose my usage.

Thoughts?
    TIA
    Dave

2. May 6, 2012 #2 of 21
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Afaik nothing has changed and it seems like this rep is ignoring the rules.

3. May 6, 2012 #3 of 21
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Who first came up with the "30 miles" in your conversation?

4. May 6, 2012 #4 of 21
    kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006

Well he asked me where I lived after I proposed the question about having at more than one address. Actually he started with.. "Well they have relaxed the rules a little bit. Where do you live?"

I told him and then he went from there. Which from that moment I knew something was fishy.

5. May 7, 2012 #5 of 21
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    My guess is he was not a DirecTv rep at all, probably worked for a third party company (they often wear DirecTv shirts).

6. May 7, 2012 #6 of 21
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Directv doesn't Relax their Rules or Terms of Service.

It is either Permitted or Not Permitted and I believe this guy was misrepresenting Directv to make some Bucks on the Side.

He probably wanted to know where you lived so he would know if you would still be in Directv's Spotbeam for Locals.

7. May 7, 2012 #7 of 21
    kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    I'd be curious to know what he told people who dont have DirecTV at home and only want to pay for it during the camping season. Which only runs from May till mid Oct.

8. May 7, 2012 #8 of 21
    kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Although strictly against terms of service, D* customers have enjoyed service in this manner by following certain steps.

For best advice, post your question here:

http://forums.directv.com >> Installation/Set-up section

The TechKnow experts will guide you.

Good luck!

-=K=-

9. May 7, 2012 #9 of 21
    DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    You are allowed to take your receiver anywhere you want for short periods of time as long as it is your receiver and it is primarily used in your main home.

I do it all of the time. I take it to our second home every time we go. I have even called DirecTV when one of my RSNs wasn't coming in one of the time. I explained that I was using it outside of my main house over 300 miles away, and they did not have an issue with it. In fact they even reset my receiver at their end and fixed the problem.

10. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    Our second home is over 300 miles from our main home and all my locals still come in. I am still in the spot beam. Of course 300 miles from my house and I am still in the southern half of our state.

11. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    But how is your account setup? Don't you have to "tell" them when you leave for your second home and/or when you come back?

And I'm also wondering if some people,who do not have DirecTV and home and don't neccessarily want it, are going to get caught in these 2 year contracts unknowingly.

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You don't have to tell them anything as there is No Way they would even know where your DVR is.

It's not like it has a GPS in it and why would they really care? You are still paying for Directv Service.

RVers do it every day and so do Campers along with Tailgaters.

13. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    It is set up like a normal account with two receivers. Everyone I know that goes camping with both Dish and Direct take it with them and none of them have a "special" account. My parents even called them and asked them and they said it was fine.

People here will tell you it is account stacking. It is not account stacking. Account stacking is when two different people share the same account at two different residences. Since you are the same person using the same account at different locations at different times, that is not considered account stacking.

I have called DirecTV twice on this manner and both times they said it was fine for me to use at my second home as long as it was less than a month at a time and I was not using it at my primary house at the same time.

14. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    Exactly. And DirecTV not only knows about. Because they know one of the ways to get subs over cable is for the subs to have the option to take satellite with them.

Like I said, not only did DirecTV give me permission to do it, they even helped me fix and issue when they knew it was outside of my house.

15. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    This is from DirecTVs website posted by tech

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10640114
    This is the same thing the CSRs have told me twice as well as my parent's when they called asking the same thing.

16. Podkayne

Podkayne Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    I have travelled in my motorhome about six weeks a year since 1998, and carry a single-lnb dish (still says "Sony" on it...LOL) and a very old but still activated RCA DRD 480RE, which serves as my bedroom receiver at home. I've gotten pretty good at locking on to the old 101 sat, which is all I need and all this receiver can see. A compass and signal meter are all you need. DirecTV has never raised an issue - it is the only reason I carry an active sub on this little gem of a receiver. :)

17. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    That is the same thing my parent's do. Except their old SD receiver is only used in the motorhome.

Because of it, DirecTV is getting an extra $6/month ($72/yr) that they normally would not be getting. And they probably watch about 10 hours/yr of programming on it.

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Again, how would Directv know if you were using the DVR in your Vacation Home or on the Road in an RV if it were for a day or a month or 6 months.

Officially you shouldn't do it but Unofficially Directv really doesn't care!!! :hurah:

19. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Agreed. They have no idea what the physical location of receivers happen to be.

20. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If you plug in a phone line they could tell.