1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Rumor -- DirecTv to Acquire Echostar

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tnsprin, Jul 24, 2006.

Do you think DirecTv and Dish Network should merge

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    57.4%
  3. Not sure

25 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Don't Care

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Its time for you DirecTv users to get in on the speculation about a rumored merger of DirecTv and Dish Network.

You should see the below thread and as much as possible put any comments in that thread.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=60763

2. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Providing that in the merger plan, there are SPECIFIC mentions of providing full-rezz HD as a benfit of the plan. I would expect that in presenting the potential benefits to the consumer of this possible merger that issues like channel and bandwidth capabilities should be spoken about.

The combination of these 2 satcos should enable them to provide "IT" - no excuses.

3. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I would only like to see this happen IF the consumer benefits by getting more channels and better technology for less money.

4. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003

Sorry, that is not the big business way. IT is always less channels in less resolution for more money and yesterday's cutting edge technology.:p

5. Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot Godfather

Jul 16, 2006
    Mergers and Aquisitions are always about the synergies of the combined organization and seldom about giving the customer anything more for any less unless you have a state or federally regulated utility where rates are regulated. Then and only then the regulators will mandate as a condition of approving the merger that a percentage of the anticipated savings be rebated to the subscribers or otherwise be reflected in lower rates.

What will happen within the first year of any such merger you will see up to 1/2 of the administrative support staff get laid off. They only need 1 IT department, only 1 Payroll & Accounting dept, etc. This is what the merger is about, laying people off and reducing operating costs.

6. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Right now my choices are the local cable company (which I absolutely refuse to do business with, so I don't even consider it a choice), Dish, and DTV. If EchoStar and DirecTV merge, then I lose one of my choices, and there is less pressure on the merged company to keep prices reasonable. Eventually Verizon FIOS will probably be available in my area, but that is probably several years away. But until then, I want some choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.