1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running Joey output through Computer Tuner Card

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Kali, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Kali

Kali New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I've been reading posts here for a couple of years, but have a question that I can't find a topic on. I just got a hopper and 2 joeys installed today. I have one Joey hooked up to my computer monitor. So far so good. However, I used run the Dish Network box through my old computer's tuner (via COAX) so that I could watch a PiP while I am working on the computer. In my new PC, I have a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 card with the following inputs: COAX, S-Video and a sound input (mini-rca?) First, the physical connection; can I use a composite to S-Video adapter to connect to the card? will that allow me to utilize the tuner to provide PiP capability while I am computing?
    Thanks for all the good advice previously, and I am a newbie to posting, so please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.
    By the way, I am not a techie, but someone who trys to keep up...
    Thanks in advance - Kali

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The Joey outputs are just HDMI or composite ... there is no RF output.

If you can get a converter to change the composite to something your computer can use you should be able to replicate what you have done before.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    A Joey only outputs one signal, you would need to hook two Joeys up to get PIP to work. If you hook up the Hopper to your computer, you can PIP from the receiver, but not the computer. Yes a composite to s-video adaptor should work.

5. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    or...if you have a home network, you could use a Sling Adapter to watch on your PC.

6. Kali

Kali New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to hook up the hardware using the Joey composite with adapter to s-video. I'll let you know how it works. I just had an idea that I may have problems with the software. I'll let you know - trying is how I learn.

I do have a sling adapter, so I may be forced to go that route.

Kali

7. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    Remember S Video will only be video, no audio.

8. Kali

Kali New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    So I got everything working with WinTV 7, Hauppauge’s TV program. It took a while since I had to order the Composite to S-Video bi-directional adapter.

Here’s what I did:
    Attached a Composite to S-Video bi-directional adapter on the Joey, attached the S-Video Cable and ran it to the computer PCI card. Attached a 3.5 mm Stereo RCA Y-Cable Adapter to the red and white Composite outputs on the Joey and ran the 3.5mm stereo cable to the card.

Since I knew I was getting SD not HD, I also replaced the VGA cable output from the video card to a HDMI and hooked that up to the monitor. Might as well get the best SD I can.

The WinTV software has a (semi) scalable screen so that gives me, a “PnP effect” on the monitor.

Voila!

Again, thanks for the info.