1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Running receiver self-check... HR24-100

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by BennyGregg, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Jul 6, 2013 #1 of 19
    BennyGregg

BennyGregg Legend

Jul 17, 2009
    I have an HR24-100 that is stuck at "Running receiver self-check...". I've red button reset several times. The first symptoms of the failure were oddities when playing a recording such as stopping while playing the recording, then starting up where it had been stopped, then playing normally for a while and then stopping again and then starting up where it had been stopped. The last error was stopping in the middle of a different recording, and staying frozen at that spot and refusing to accept any remote control commands.

Can I bring it back to life somehow?

2. Jul 6, 2013 #2 of 19
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    It is most likely 'done'.

Sorry.

3. Jul 6, 2013 #3 of 19
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR. It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation. Otherwise ~$20 for shipping. Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.

4. BennyGregg

BennyGregg Legend

Jul 17, 2009
    I called and with less hassle than I thought a replacement receiver is on the way. The receiver being replaced is an HR24-100. I asked the rep if I would be getting an HR-24 replacement, he said yes, we replace like with like.

The rep went over a series of info and requirements, and one thing he said surprised me. He said if my old receiver is not requested to be returned to hang on to it for a while, "just in case". I asked the rep if there was any chance that DTv would not want my old HR24-100 to be returned and he said yes there was a small chance of that happening. Why wouldn't DTv want all leased HR24's to be returned when they've been replaced?

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    They will. But sometimes I think their system screws up and ends up not asking for it back, but that's a mistake rather than the expected I believe for any hr24s. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it any other way, considering how poor their return system seems to be in the first place.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    They WILL want your defective HR24 back. Hold on to it until you get the return kit. If you dont get one, call again because you will get charge a NRF.

7. Aug 4, 2013 #7 of 19
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm sitting here knocking on wood before I type this, but I've never had one problem returning an HR. Or a TiVo, or an Ultimate TV DVR. I don't know how many that would be in total, but it would be well over a hundred. Not one was lost, every one made it to its destination. Never once have I seen a non-return charge on my account. I've had HRs that sat on a shelf for over 6 months awaiting recovery kits and have never been charged. Just my experience. Positive experience, for a change.

Rich

8. Aug 4, 2013 #8 of 19
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    While you're in limbo, why not run the diagnostics and repair for the HDD? You may be able to salvage your recordings once the bad sectors are mapped out.

Good luck!

9. Aug 4, 2013 #9 of 19
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Just for future reference, how do you do this?

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I actually had this happen with a 24-100 yesterday. Watched it reboot and it got stuck. It has a 2TB drive in a dock on it and that's the first time I've had this problem. Had to disconnect both devices, wait a couple minutes and go thru the boot up process and it worked. Usually, this setup doesn't require pulling the power cords from both devices and rebooting. But it works now. Realize nothing in this post will solve your problem, just thought you'd like to know you're not alone.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I feel a message from Mr. Smith is about to appear. Have fun.

Rich

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I found this in some older threads.

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive.
    Do this:
    Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
    When you see a message Run receiver self-check,
    press select
    You will see the message Entering Diagnostics Mode
    Select Advanced Tests Menu,
    Hard Drive Utilities,
    Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
    If those tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could
    take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.
    The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is
    less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more
    stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard disc drive.

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What jimmie said! :).

14. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Thanks guys!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

15. Robert_J

Robert_J New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    How long between Entering Diagnostics Mode and Select Advanced Tests Menu? I'm at about 15 minutes with no change.

16. Robert_J

Robert_J New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I knew asking about it would cause the receiver's menu to come up. I went down to check it after posting and the menu had appeared. I passed the short test and the file system test was at 99% for about 5 minutes. I'll do the surface test next.

Whatever happens, I'll probably be doing the hard drive replacement/upgrade. The results of the test will just tell me whether it is this weekend or later.

17. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    That may be true if one is drop shipped but, as i found out the hard way, I had a HR44 that i found dead the next morning after a heavy thunderstorm.. I called in and the rep insisted that i have a tech come out to check everything over since we did have a heavy storm. When the tech arrived he had a HR34 with him to replace it.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Booh ! :D

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    D* considers the two Genies equal. Just as they considered the 20-700s and the 21 Series of HRs to be equal. Or "functionally equivalent" as they, so ambiguously, put it.

Rich