1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

RURAL TV

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SeaBeagle, Jan 17, 2012.

1. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006

2. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    I was wondering the same thing, just in case RFD-TV decides to move my train shows there. Rural-TV starts in February.

BTW, why do all of your posts have a dead quote in them?

3. GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005

4. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

5. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Apparently.

7. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    I agree that it's obvious, it's certainly unnecessary. Yet, people get hoodwinked into quoting it. Maybe it's an experiment in paying attention. :lol:

All kidding aside; my only goal was to offer the poster some help. I'm unaware of any reason to intentionally include it, so I thought I would start by asking it's purpose.

8. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Looks like DISH will carry Rural TV on channel 232 beginning February 1. That has been the channel for KTLA in the superstations pack. KTLA is being moved to channel 233 on February 1. (Actually it's already there but still on 232 also.) I assume this is being done so Rural TV can be on 232, right next to RFD on 231. Don't know whether it will be HD or not but I suspect it will be since RFD is.

9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Then you're missing Gunilla Hutton and the rest of the Hee Haw Honeys.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is a channel called "rural" testing in SD (channel 6111). I suspect that channel will be renumbered 232 when KTLA completes its move. No sign of a HD yet.

12. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006

13. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Looks like Paul is the latest victim to get hoodwinked into quoting the dead quote and have his post messed up. SeaBeagle, would you like some friendly help with posting? Please PM.

14. eckertman

eckertman Legend

May 20, 2005
    Woodstock,IL
    That's the way I understand it.

15. MCHuf

MCHuf Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    This is great news! Another channel that nobody asked for gets added, while channels that people want, such as BBC World News and FEARnet aren't. :(

16. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    You know there are reasons for that. I'm sure providers have meetings and look at what the trend is for what people want, then say lets not add those........

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is a test channel, not available to customers. That's why I said a channel named RURAL was testing there.

18. MCHuf

MCHuf Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    That's not all what I meant. I mean if nobody is asking for that channel, then why even bother adding it. Pay-tv providers are always whining about the cost of programming, then why pay for something that isn't being asked for? Instead save that money for channels people actually want.

I have the AT200 package and it has several Spanish language channels. I have nothing against these channels, but since Dish already offers several Spanish language packages, why are they in this package? The money saved from removing those could be added to pay for BBC World News or FEARnet or some other high demand channel.

19. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    That's an easy answer. There are a huge percentage of households where the younger people speak English, probably their first language. But the older members may not speak English as well. They get the regular package, which has all the English programming, and enough Spanish to please the others.

I wonder how many had wanted channels that are now relatively popular? Satellite is often the sole provider for rural areas. A second channel doesn't seem out of place to me.

20. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I think Fearnet has ads. The VOOM Channel had commercial free back in the day.