1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

RV DirecTV Setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by indianabanana, Apr 27, 2013.

1. indianabanana

indianabanana New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Prescott, Az
    Trying to setup at my RV site for the first time.
    Have a Satellite Oasis HD RV Kit - DTVKAKUSKIT
    Liturature says 5LNB, but looks like the 3LNB
    No B-Band Converter.
    H21-100 Receiver.

Got everything hooked up, changed the settings for the receiver to 3LNB and Multiswitch. Also tried 5LNB and Multiswitch. No Satelite signal no matter what I tried.
    Aiming right and in the same direction as others in the campground.
    Tried switching coax cables. Tried different connects on the LNB (there are four).

Best response i got from the satellite meter that came with the kit was an intermittant response during aiming. Meter would go high, not pegged, red LED labeled "H/V" would come on, then back to zero. A few seconds later same thing. Repeated at uniform interval. Still "No Signal" was the message from the H21.

Do I have to have the B-band converter to receive a satellite signal?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jay

2. ikoniq

ikoniq Cool Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    On an H21 you'll definitely need a B-Band Converter if it's operating in multiswitch mode. It sounds like a Slimline-5 Quattro LNB, which can't feasibly be plugged directly into the LNB without a multiswitch. So, unless that kit has a multiswitch bundled/integrated into it, it sounds like you're missing a couple components.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There is no such thing as a "quatrro" LNB

Without the BBC, you can get at least the 101 satellite which is the one used to peak the dish. You wont get any HD channels until you get the BBC.

You need to make sure that the mast in level and plumb and don't use the cheap meter included in the kit. use the DirecTV built in signal meters. These cheap meters are junk!

4. indianabanana

indianabanana New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Prescott, Az
    The 5LNB shows one with a central pod and two extra ones on one side. Mine just has the single central pod and four connectors.
    I never got a signal on the H21 nor on the signal meter. Could the LNB be bad? Is there a way to tell. Volt/Ohm meter?
    Thanks for the replies.
    Jay

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Although there is a very minute possibility that the LNB could be bad, it always comes down to dish alignment.

6. indianabanana

indianabanana New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Prescott, Az
    Ok, Won't be back to the trailer for about a week.
    I'll order a BBC from DirecTV and try again.
    THanks,
    Jay

7. thecookiemonstor

thecookiemonstor New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    here
    you should also test the voltage coming out of the receiver. volt ohm set to 20vdc. should get 18 on even transponders and 13 on odd transponders. again make sure the mast is level and plumb. this is a legacy system not a SWiM system

8. indianabanana

indianabanana New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Prescott, Az
    The H21 receiver came from one of the bedrooms and was on a SWM system. The back of the receiver has only one input for the satellite and it is labled SWM1.
    If that makes any difference. Worked fine at home before I took it to the trailer.
    Thanks,
    Jay

9. indianabanana

indianabanana New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Prescott, Az
    Back at the RV Park. Got a B-Band Converter from a local DirecTV shop. Found a good spot for the dish. Leveled the post. Installed the B-Band Converter. Hooked up the wires, LNB, etc. Got the compass out and rough aligned the dish.
    Turned it on and .........................NO SIGNAL. Rotated the dish while the wife looked for numbers on the TV screen. At at the first rough rotation to the right she yelled out 98, 99, 97, 100, 99, 98, ..... Locked it down and we are good to go. Can't believe I hit it that close on the first try. Thanks for all your advice.
    Jay