1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rv Satillite Dish or Dome

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by lartomar2002, Apr 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Apr 9, 2010 #1 of 11
    lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    which forum do i ask questions about directc reception equipment for my rv? for example i have several question about 'which is better' type applications and about equipment in general. if not in any of these forums perhaps someone could suggest another site.
    thanks, larry:)

2. Apr 9, 2010 #2 of 11
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Probably the Installation/MDU forum.

One very important parameter that must be defined going in is whether you plan on HD or not. You can't do DIRECTV HD with a dome antenna. You can use an HD receiver but it will only bring you SD satellite programming.

3. Apr 9, 2010 #3 of 11
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  4. Apr 9, 2010 #4 of 11
    lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
  5. Apr 9, 2010 #5 of 11
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    True. But none of those dishes support the MPEG4 (new) HD channels beamed from the 99/103ºW satellites.

6. Apr 9, 2010 #6 of 11
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The 27" height is likely a deal breaker for the RV crowd as well.

Interesting that it is a 3 slot dish.

7. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    THE problem with a dome type, mounted on the roof of the vehicle (like a diesel pusher), or any towed RV, is that unless you are going to run the thing exclusively in the desert, or the wide open plains, you're going to 99 times out of a hundred be blocked by these tall, strange green things, called 'trees'.

You'll need to get the dish on a tripod, or bolted to a movable flat plywood board, which is positionable several (like 50-100+) feet on a main path/road with, of course, clear sighting to the satellite(s).

Get a nice long hunk of burial-type coaxial (i.e., it's GOING to get RUN OVER eventually), with a 'spare' hunk for when someone eventually cuts it (AND a repair kit if you're handy with splicing in a barrel).

Between me and my brother-in-law, we've be doing DirecTV (both SD AND HD) for well over 8+ years now. At any park, you'll find quite a number of folks doing just what I explained, Slimline(s) (or older single LNB/101 SD only types) on tripods. Most folks take one look at their compass, drop the dish in, and barely look at a remote signal meter more than a couple seconds anymore.

When my brother-in-law first started, he swore at me big time because he couldn't get a signal, I'd walk up, take one look at the compass, tweak the dish, and bingo. Now, he takes the same 2-3 minutes tops.

Most these folks I could have used 40 years ago in the signal corps.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Someone hasn't discovered the wide open skies of the desert Southwest where the Western Snowbird winters.

9. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Have an owned pad in a golf/rv community in Surprise, AZ for years. But it usually takes me 3-4 days of crawling down the Oregon/California Coast to get there. The journey is more than half the fun. When the weather is nice on the Oregon coast, I 'linger' a bit or more. Especially around the Dunes north of Coos Bay.

10. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Great info thanks alot:)

11. alohanole

alohanole New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    you might want to try the "technology" forum of rv.net. It's a fantastic resource that I use often.

Living in the South, the tree problem is for real. I have a travel trailer and use a tripod exclusively. I can't tell you how many times I have seen class "A" diesel pushers with dome dishes that are also using tripods because their LOS is obscured by trees. I highly recommend a sturdy tripod, such as one used by surveyors. I started off with a cheap one and it was ok for a phase III dish, but when I went to a SL-3, you have to have a very sturdy platform.