1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

rvu tv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Jodean, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    why would anyone want to use the rvu feature instead of having a client

I havent seen one in action but i can only guess that id rather have a client instead of using the samsung remote??

what is the response? i dont see the rvu being quicker than the client but would like some input there

currently talking everyone out of rvu and installing clients instead, it appears to cost the cx the same amount after 4 tvs anyway, why wouldnt you want more equipment, its not like the deca is any smaller than a client and the deca kit II are hideous with wires going all directions, maybe if the original cinema kit was used as in the smaller square box settop style

Does anyone have both side by side to compare?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    You can use a rc71 remote with a RVU tv. And if it's working right it should be no different than using a outboard client. And since you could use just an Ethernet cable that is likely already plugged into the tv and dvr the power of the client yeah it's a great thing to use. But not all RVU tvs are as good as a client right now.

The real question is reverse of what you ask. What keeps someone from wanting less equipment.

3. stickywicket

stickywicket Cool Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern...
    I have a Samsung 46UNF7500 RVU TV connected via Ethernet to access my HR34. I chose not to pay $50 plus parts for a service call for the technician to run a cable from the dish or multi-switch for a Genie mini client and the required DECA to the Samsung located in a different room than my Genie. It seemed unnecessary since I can watch the recordings on all the DVRs connected to my network and watch live TV on a channel different from what is on the HR34. In addition, installations and/or repairs tend to be problematic because of the dish location, multi-switches, and cable runs.

I replaced the Samsung touch remote that comes with the 46UNF7500 with a standard remote. Both remotes have dedicated keys for the full and mini Guide, Menu, Info, Playlist, fast forward, rewind, record, and pause functions. It is missing some of the functions of a DirecTV remote, but I do not find them necessary when using RVU.

If for some reason you run into a problem, reboot the Genie. This will usually solve any issues. Do not call Samsung under any circumstances. They know absolutely nothing about the RVU feature. DirecTV tech support can help troubleshoot and solves any issues.

4. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    well for me there is never less equipment

The rvu tv is sitting there in the box when i get there because they just bought it, no ethernet EVER at any tv during any install unless im in a milion dollar house.

Soooooo, Ill just talk them into a client then, i really dont want to waste my time updating their firmware and such just to get the rvu part working.......id rather just use a client i know how those work.

So its free install for a client, also free install for an rvu. After 4 tvs its still $50 for a client and $50 for an rvu.

To me it seems like more work to add a deca and also update the rvu and go through its setup, waste of time for installer period

If someone wants to setup the tv themselves thats perfectly fine go rvu then, but my customers are never that smart.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Wow. So you purposely make your customers purchase less valuable and talk bad about RVU tvs to them? Amazing.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    At the end of the day, this is the purpose of an RVU TV, to be able to be self installed by the customer, but DirecTV will also install them as well if they are no capable.

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    An advantage of the RVU TV is that it's not a Directv piece of equipment. So you can call them up and activate it. And if you want to remove Directv service from it, call them and deactivate the RVU as a client. Nothing to return and no contract.

If they send you a client, you have a 2 year contract and you can't (always) turn them off and on and hold on to the equipment.

8. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I would like to see RVU in action and how it operates, and if watching live or recorded tv is as smooth as a client, But paying 6 as if a box was present is a big putoff.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Why? The box is "built in" on RVU tvs. That's the point really.

10. stickywicket

stickywicket Cool Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern...
    In addition, RVU TVs do not require a tuner, which is great if you are tuner challenged. I do not see a difference watching live TV or a recorded program on a RVU and a HD receiver. Is there a difference between a receiver and a client?

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you mean it does not use a tuner form the Genie, is not correct. an RVU TV is no difference then a DirecTV RVU client, it uses a tuner to watch live TV.

while there are differences in the hardware, picture quality should be the same.

12. stickywicket

stickywicket Cool Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern...
    No, I am referring to a needing a tuner from the satellite dish.

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that is not an "advantage" as as long as you have a Genie you can have RVU, whether is a DirecTV client or RVU TV. or am I missing a point here?

14. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I know before I'd ever buy another TV because I wanted the RVU (now called DIRECTV Ready) function they'd have to have a Genie there to connect it to or have one hell of a return policy.

My RVU set is ethernet connected and no problems watching live or recorded TV, it's when you go to use DVR functions like skip that it really falls apart performance wise (using a DECA connection didn't help performance).

15. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    thats what i was looking for, its better to use a client if the tv client is flakey or slow

And......directv still charges to install the rvu, no bonus there at all.

I have a feeling directv may even start the 2 year contract over activating an rvu, if thats the case i would never let any do rvu, always a client...

So yes, i will tell all customers to do client instead of rvu. DONE!!

Thanks!!!

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    nope, no two year for activating an RVU TV

17. stickywicket

stickywicket Cool Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern...
    It is an advantage for someone like me who does not have tuners available for a HD-DVR or does not want to spend the money for technician to install a mini-client.

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The same can be said about a Genie mini

19. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    how about a client?? say a retail client, does that restart the contract?

20. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    thats good news, i just told a guy to get the client instead of activating his rvu, in a year he will add another room, at that time he can activate the rvu with no consequences and move the client to the newly finished room with no new contract.