1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RZC Fake Crowd Noise - is This Really Necessary?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Canis Lupus, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 #1 of 17
    Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    The RZC fake crowd noise is unnecessary and frankly annoying. Why do they do it? I'd really just prefer to get what I get from the live crowds at games.

https://files.me.com/element242/b0gra7.mov

2. Nov 7, 2010 #2 of 17
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I actually noticed it for the first time today. Now, it's really obvious to me. It is always there. I honestly wished I had never noticed it. It is really annoying. It's along the same lines as canned laughter. Totally fake and unnecessary. I wonder if the other RZCs do this as well.

3. Nov 7, 2010 #3 of 17
    Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
  4. Nov 7, 2010 #4 of 17
    JoeS

JoeS AllStar

Jan 24, 2008
    Even worse is RZC showing any highlight packages at all (esp halftimes)while live football is on. It dosent make any sense to me to show any when there are 6 days after Sunday to get highlights, game replays and such. Please keep the channel on just live football! End rant.

5. Nov 7, 2010 #5 of 17
    cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    Also today I noticed RZC went off while two games were still going on and I knew they eventually had to get off like 8 est but to go off at 7:19 that was weird.

6. Nov 7, 2010 #6 of 17
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    NFLN RZC went off (on Dish at least) at 7:59PM.

7. Nov 7, 2010 #7 of 17
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    What is the fake crowd noise you are talking about? I kept going from RZC to the real game feed and the sound was the same on the 4:00 games.

8. Nov 7, 2010 #8 of 17
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Watch the movie clip Canis posted in post 1. You can hear the fake crowd noise continue into the commercial. It's like a "backing track". If you pay attention, it's there all the time.

9. Nov 7, 2010 #9 of 17
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I hear it on the clip but I did not hear it on the 4:00 games. When they went away to something else, the crowd noise stopped. I even reran bits of the crowd noise and it was exactly the same from RZC versus the game feed.

I have never heard noise going into commercials when they come on because they cut too late before and I watch RZC a lot when I am home (was at Ravens game so I didn't see 1:00 games today).

10. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
  11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Good. Nice to know I am not totally insane. :)

12. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Sometimes there literally isn't any live football going on -- every game is in commercial, or in halftime simultaneously (the latter did happen with the early games this week, I noticed).

Also, I believe that they're somewhat limited by the NFL in both how long they're allowed to stay with one particular game before switching elsewhere, and how much of a game they can show in total. So when they get to a point where they have to switch, if there's not another game currently available, it's highlight time. And when they get to the point where they've run out of "time" on the late games, that's when the channel signs off for the day, even with several games still going on.

13. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Yeah. That didn't set well with me either, but it's not costing me anything.

14. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    How I noticed it clearly was in my 7.1 setup. In their 5.1 output, I would notice the fake crowd noise being almost isolated in my side speakers. With a center speaker for instance (which is really what I recorded in the clip - and it was only an iPhone4 mic), it's harder to detect because of the mix. But with my side speakers I noticed it more strongly.

I'll try next week to record from just those speakers and see what I can come up with.

15. jasonblair

jasonblair Icon

Sep 5, 2006
    My guess is they need to do it in order to make their transitions smoother. Each game probably has a different audio mix, and to jump back and forth from game to game, you'd have moments where sound just cutting off and another sound starting up would be a little jarring.

Turntable DJs often use a similar tactic when transitioning from one song to another... You need a backing sound to maintain continuity.

I don't think DirecTV adds it just to make the game seem more exciting.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    If that is the case, maybe they only add it when they are doing a transition. That would explain why it all sounded the same to me when I checked the games going on at 4:00 Sunday. I didn't pay attention to transitions. The commercial in the recording above may have been a goof.

17. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    Yesterday, the fake crowd noise was clearly exposed on RZC. I can't recall the specific game (I think it was Jacksonville-Houston), but the game feed was lost and for a few seconds you had a blank screen. However, in the background, the only thing you could hear was the fake crowd noise.

As the OP stated, this is really not necessary. The game site crowd noise should suffice.