1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

?s Before Taking the WHDVR Plunge

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by signal34, Dec 30, 2011.

1. signal34

signal34 Cool Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Hello All,

I've been with Directv for over 10 years, never been late on a payment, and the last time I had to call them was in 2008 to replace a failing receiver. I currently have three non-DVR H21 STBs and am wanting to get my first DVR along with WHDVR.

I called CS yesterday to inquire about the free upgrade to WHDVR and was advised it was only for new customers. The CSR informed me I could upgrade to one DVR for $99 (half off from $199), get the WHDVR upgrade kit for $99 (half off from $199) and free install (waive the $49). But, I needed to pay a $14.99 S/H fee for the equipment to be shipped to the installer (???). I asked about swapping out any other of my STB, but he said it would be $199 each.

My questions are:
    1) Does this seem like a good deal?
    2) Why would I have to pay S/H if the equipment isn't coming to my home (doesn't the installer/warehouse already have the equipment)?

3) Are there any advantages to having more than one DVR (besides having more recording space)? Is negotiating for another DVR worth it?

4) Could I still get a refurb even though I've never had a DVR before?

Thanks for any and all responses.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    A second DVR became "a must" here for space, but more for the additional tuners to record four shows at the same time. With two [four tuners] I don't have any conflicts recording.
    Not sure about the shipping costs.
    Since your dish will need upgrading, each H21 will need to have a DECA added, the cabling will need some changes, and an additional DECA should be added for internet access, the price may not be so bad.

3. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    The only person who can answer if this is a good deal or not is you, others would only be giving you their opinions of what they think. Some will say this is a good deal, others would be up at arms because you are not getting everything given to you for free. Make sense?

Personally, we have two dvrs in our house and that's it. No conflicts, no hassles. We however do not have the whole home dvr service as it is not a feature that we utilize.

And yes you could still end up getting a refurbished dvr.

4. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Even on a new customer order, if you order through a CSR you will pay the $20 shipping. If you order online then it is free shipping. So it is really an admin type/real person we have to pay fee.

Try going onto your Directv.com account and add the same things that way - should possibly be the same price. If not, then $20 isnt too bad given the other discounts you have.

5. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    I just called yesterday. I suspended my account two weeks ago and at that time they were really throwing stuff at me. Yesterday not so much. Here's what I got.... they're switching out one SD DVR for a HD DVR and switching out one SD receiver for an HD receiver. Reinstalling the cables and what's needed for Whole Home on my dish. Got a Cinema Connection Kit as well. Ended up going to cost me right a $200. They gave me the HD DVR, waived the S&H and install, charged me $99 for the HD receiver and gave me the CCK for half off (which I don't even know if I need, my router is in back of the TV right next to my HD DVR).

6. signal34

signal34 Cool Member

Dec 31, 2005
    @VOS -- Thanks for the response. I didn't realize I would need a new dish and wiring. I currently have a Slimline and my house is all pre-wired with RG6, so I thought I was good to go.

Also, I have a WB68 multi-switch -- would they swap that with a SWiM or keep the multi-switch since I would only have one DVR? Is there anything I should specifically ask is included to insure I have all the necessary equipment for any future upgrades? Are they going to ask me about my current home network to ensure proper equipment is available? I just want to make sure all of the acronyms (e.g DECAs, CCKs, SWiMs) are sent. There's nothing on their site I can find that tells me what the WHDVR update kit includes.

@jg -- Thanks also for your response. True, I would be getting some differing opinions, but actually that was what I was looking for :D Anything that others might offer up relating to their experience when upgrading/dealing with CS would be helpful to me right about now.

7. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    You're welcome.

Just keep asking, we'll keep helping.

8. signal34

signal34 Cool Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Thanks F1 and crawdad....good info for me.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Now that you've said you have a Slimline dish, more than likely, they'll simply change the LNB to the SWiMLNB.
    The WB68 can't be used, because SWiM is a completely different type of system. Your RG6 "should be" alright to use, but wall plate connectors may need to be changes, and where the WB68 is now, they'll use a splitter.
    SWiM is a single wire solution.
    DECA is the coax networking used for the Whole Home service. It uses the same SAT feed coax to network all the receivers, and the CCK [Cinema Connection Kit] is another DECA that connects to your home network for internet access.
    DirecTV doesn't post all the hardware, but instead has trained the installers to set all this up for you.
    Before he/she leaves, make sure they have showed you how it all works, as that's part of their job.

10. signal34

signal34 Cool Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Yikes....looks like I'll have to break out the furniture sliding pads. I have some heavy moving to do... :(

Thanks also for the acronym explanation. I was just worried that something may not get sent on install day, but mistakes can happen either way. Looks like I'm almost ready for the plunge!

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm sure the installer will appreciate that so they can have easy access to the areas they need.

12. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Legend

Jan 26, 2009
    I'm in the same situation of being a long-term customer wanting to go to WHDVR. Even with the offers, you end up paying more money for clunkier hardware, and have a higher monthly rate than a new customer. I'm seriously considering bolting for Dish. I use only 2 TVs and SD on one of them is ok, so the Dish duo DVR is just as good as WHDVR for me. Besides all the hardware freebees and subsidized monthly rate for a year, there's a $200 new customer kickback available in the form of a gift card. After all these years of paying for the new customer incentives I'd like to be on the receiving end instead.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If you're serious about switching, it might be worth calling in and asking for the retention department, and tell them.

14. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    For whatever it's worth I upgraded to whole home in May and it totaled up at $139. I did have to pay for the service call because I had already used my free one for the year, they gave me a HR24 DVR to replace an old H20 for free, the rest of the cost was the upgrade kit, I do not remember anything about a S/H fee. Maybe try the website as suggested and/or a few more calls to play CSR roulette. IMHO it was well worth the upgrade.

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I would call back and Play CSR Roulette as I had my 2 HR10-250s Replaced for Free and got 2 more HR24-500s for $99 a piece with DECA/SWM Installed for $75.

I couldn't believe it but I was persistent and I got to keep my HR10-250s not that they are worth much.

I then called back a month later for something else and gave the CSR guy some advice and he said for being Nice he would swap out my 2 HR10-250s for Free and I said Thanks and I got 2 HR20s for FREE!!!

Way To Go Directv for Treating a Long Time Customer Right!!!

Probably can't get that deal nowadays but it was sure nice when I got it.

16. phoneman06

phoneman06 Mentor

Feb 20, 2005
    I was still under contract when I called and got two SD DVR's swapped out for a HR23 and a H25, and cinema connection kit installed for $99. No shipping. I did this over the phone about a month ago. Last week I decided I wanted one of the SD DVR's back, so they shipped me one for no charge and came out and installed a SWM16 for no charge. I guess I got a pretty good deal.

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You're the only one who can answer whether you need one or two DVRs. You've gone this long without one, so you probably could get along with one with MRV. But it is addictive. We don't watch anything 'real time' anymore. Even if we're at home and one of our shows comes on at 9PM, we'll wait until at least 9:20 to start the show so we can just FF through all the commercials. We have multiple DVRs because we're a larger family with totally different interests in what we watch. But it probably will be cheaper now to upgrade to multiple DVRs than several months down the road -- IMHO.

As Richierich suggested, you might want to call back and talk with a different CSR about your upgrade. And even talk with Retention (say "cancel" twice during the voice prompts). But don't threaten to leave unless you're actually willing too -- just say you talked with another CSR and you had a few questions about doing an upgrade (including the shipping charge -- I upgraded to MRV in Aug and I wasn't charged any shipping) -- and get a quote for the upgrade for both one and two DVRs.

Good luck.

18. signal34

signal34 Cool Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Well, just got off the phone with Retentions, and spoke with one of THE nicest employees. After discussing the fees from yesterday's CSR, she started whittling down some figures. Then after 5 minutes of discussion, she just basically said "You've been with us for so long with no problems, the heck with it. You can have it all for FREE!" :D

So, after 11 years (with 8 out of contract she said) I'm getting the HD-DVR (no idea which model, but I'll take that up with the installer when the time's right), WHDVR upgrade, install and shipping all for free! I'm definitely a happy camper...with the money I've saved I can get another DVR from an online retailer.

Thanks again for everyone's help. :bowdown:
    I took a little advice from each post and was able to craft a well-thought plan prior to calling back.

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Great news. Here's hoping that the installer will only have HR24s on his truck.

20. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Glad our advice helped you out so you could get a Great Deal!!! :hurah: