1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S.m.a.r.t.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dvrfan, Mar 14, 2006.

1. dvrfan

dvrfan New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    I have a Sony Viao Desktop (purchased Dec. 2003) at BB. I turned it on the other night and it had a whole page of info. on the screen. I took it to BB since it's still under warranty. They said the computer was telling me that the hard drive was about to fail and that I should try and recover any data and pics, etc. asap. The guy was able to save my stuff but told me that they would charge me $89 for doing it. I told him that that procedure should be covered because if the hard drive hadn't failed, I wouldn't have had to recover my data!!

He said they would replace my hard drive and install my OS (2005 Media Center.)
    I asked him, while they had it out, couldn't they-if I paid the difference, upgrade my hard drive from 160 to 250. He said he didn't think that they'd go for that! I could understand if I didn't want to pay the extra, but I do!

Does any body have any suggestions or ideas?

I've spent a lot of money at BB over the last 3 years and think that they should take care of me.

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Take care of you? Not really.

You got what you paid for. What makes you think that just because you spend "a lot of money" with a business, they owe you anything? I buy most of my groceries and a ton of other stuff at Wal*Mart -- Probably about $10k a year -- does that mean they owe me free food, clothing and DVDs?

Not hardly. :nono2:

3. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Nick, exactly what is dvrfan asking anyone to give him free?

dvrfan, I would ask to speak to a manager or supervisor. No guarantee that they will do anything, but more likely than if you just talk with the geek behind the counter. You have to talk with someone who has the authority to make that decision.

4. dvrfan

dvrfan New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Nick,

I wasn't asking for anything for free. I made a point of saying that I'd be glad to pay for the hard drive upgrade.

I do belong to several companies' rewards programs. I try to do business with those companys that appreciate the fact that I shop with them, when I could just as easily shop elsewhere.

You seem kind of sour. I was only asking for advice or recommendations from anyone who had been in a similiar situation. I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Thanks,

Cindy

5. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Nick is just a little grouchy 'cause he is old and feeble.

6. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Right! Nick is our resident curmudgeon, Grammar police and just a grumpy old man. :D just like Bogy has a similar reputatuion in that he likes to annoy people who are basically happy the way they are as in his "afflicting the comfortable"

Speaking of getting something when you are owed it...

Today my daughter brought her Epson Printer over because it just stopped printing. I went through the online tech support procedure which was fantastic but still ended up telling me, "I can't help you further so call 1-562...

So I called and the nice East Indian man who spoke English well enough for me to actually understand him, had me verify the same troubleshooting proceedure. He ended up in the same dead end too. But then he said, I'm sorry I can't get your printer working but fortunately you bought an Epson which has a fabulous warranty. Just tell me when you bought it and I can proceed. I gave him the serial number but for the life of me I couldn't recall the exact date I bought it as a gift for my daughter. I felt it was sometime within the past year. He said I will enter it as April 2005 is that OK with you? I repeated I just didn't know. Telling the truth rather than lieing and making up a date. He said Epson is going to send me their latest version of that design printer with all new ink cartridges free as well as pay for Fed EX 3 day shipping. Then gave me a number to call should I not receive it in 4-5 business days. He said I do not need to return the broken one. WOW! Kudos for a company that does something right for a change. I will certainly consider Epson first next time I buy a printer. Life's good!

Well, that was to my daughter's benefit- Today also, one of my betacam edit recorders finally crapped out bad enough to require factory service- ~$5000 in repair bills estimated. It's 9 years old and costs $13,000 new. Decisions???? Just when I thought I was getting ahead a little in this business. :(

7. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Get ahead? You just have to run harder so you can stay in place.

8. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Back on topic.

I purchased a computer for my son 3 years ago at Best Buy. It's an E-Machine. I bought the extended warranty.

The hard drive failed last Christmas and we took it over to BB to get fixed. They replaced the hard drive and reloaded the operating system.

I asked them about recovering the data and got the same story. The guy at the store basically said that the warranty doesn't cover the data. Only the hardware. I can understand their position. Everyone knows that making backups of important data is a requirement if you own a computer.

I would take Don's advice. Talk to a manager about upgrading the hard drive.