1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video "Y" splitter

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Holtz, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Figures.... within three weeks of getting a new TV, I'm looking at ways to split the S-Video output so that it goes from my DirecTiVo to both my TV and my video capture card.

So far, I've only seen this: http://www.videocapturecard.com/svideoybox1.html . Any comments?

2. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Yeah, you can't really split S-Video and have it work right. You need a distribution amplifier. I know AudioAuthority makes one... but I've got no specific recommendations - I've never owned one.

3. SSW_Exposure

SSW_Exposure AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    Here is just one source (real nice cable):http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2009&sku=29164
    There are lots of sources out there, most will be around the same price, but you should be able to find one under 10 bucks. You will still need two patch cables to complete the setup.

Altough your TV can make good use of S-video, because it just would convert composite back to S-video before using it.

I think most caputre cards convert S-video to composite shortly after entering the board. So you may want to try using your composite outputs for your PC.
    Why?

Why?

4. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    I use a s-video amp with my 721, works well on it.

here's the link http://www.vpi.us/vsplt-sv.html

5. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Radio Shack has a splitter box out, I have had mine over a year. I use it with my 501, and 2 dvd players to go into my dlp.

6. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    "Radio Shack has a splitter box out, I have had mine over a year. I use it with my 501, and 2 dvd players to go into my dlp."

It sounds like you're using a switch, not a splitter. A switch combines inputs. A splitter creates outputs...

7. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    sorry, misunderstood what you wanted... it is a switch box.
    Dont know why you could no get one and run jumpers and solder to make a "y" or even get 2 svideo cables, and splice togather to make same. (might try that myself)

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    You are going to get signal loss.

9. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Guess I will stick with my switch box then.

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I tried a "Y" adaptor and it degraded the signal. So much so that the composite looked better.

11. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    actually though I am only using the s-video for the 501 and an apex dvd player that plays mpegs, I use a vesa component to vga adaptor for my panny player.

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I have an S-Video Y adapter from the output of my satellite receiver to my TiVo and to the input of my Sony TV that I use for SD viewing. Picture quality is just fine. I wouldn't want to use something like this with considerable cable length, but the act of paralleling two inputs should not cause much signal degradation, since the Y cable adds no impedance of its own to the mix. Any degradation would be due to the lowered impedance from the two input circuits being in parallel
    I got my adapter at a local electronics distributor, but I think you can get them from cablestogo.com (a.k.a. impactacoustics.com). I got my DVI cable that I use for HD from them.

13. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    A lot depends on the quality of the cable used in the "Y" adapter. However, paralleling two lines does change the impedence characteristics of the cable. Some devices may be able to handle the change better than others.

Hi Cholly, good to see another Greater Binghamtonian on the forum.

14. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    "I tried a "Y" adaptor and it degraded the signal. So much so that the composite looked better."

Which is why you need the distribution amp. But of course, they're extremely expensive...

15. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    This one is NOT too expensive.

This s-video amp is the one I use a with my 721, works well for 2 outputs

here's the link http://www.vpi.us/vsplt-sv.html

16. digital223

digital223 Legend

Dec 18, 2002
    For the past few years going to radioshack for hardware or electronics, has been very disappointing. I come home empty handed. r/s no longer carry many of the parts they did a few years ago. It seems like they are only interested in selling cell phones. :(
    I sure hope some new electronics parts house decides to open a national chain of stores and give r/s a run.

17. narnia777

narnia777 Legend

Mar 28, 2003
    Don't get the ybox it's trash, I got it and it added signal loss and signal noise. I am using a switch right now to switch between computer and tv but eventually will be getting the 4 output dist. amp from radio shack. But the price is $45 and on my budget it's not cheap. The 2 output "splitter" that someone posted might work well too but it's not much cheaper $35.

I would love a cheaper 2 output dist amp. But the one posted earlier is the only one I've seen.

Jim

18. Craig_W

Craig_W Guest

I'm also looking to split an S-Video signal (to a monitor and to a home theater PC in my case). I picked up one of the Radio Shack distribution amps last weekend, and I'll be returning it tonight. It doesn't add "noise" as such, but it does add significant signal distortion, especially to a high contrast signal. (My cable box menus, for example.) This normally shows up as a *very* noticeable shadow/echo to the right of any high contrast vertical lines or transitions. This is coming from the amplifier itself, as the same problem appears on every output, regardless of the cable length or what's connected to it. If I had to pur a name to the problem, I'd guess poor bandwidth, and signal "ringing" issues.

I'd like to try the "Video Products Inc" 2 output unit that's been mentioned here, but I'm a bit leery of buying it via the Internet, and paying extra shipping and import costs (I'm in Canada) then having to fight to return it... Has anyone actually tried a high quality solution that will handle reasonably high-res without any degradation of signal?

- Craig W