1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad day for Houston theme park fans

Discussion in 'The OT' started by invaliduser88, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    It was announced today that AstroWorld will be shutdown after the 2005 season and the land sold off.

Have to go to Dallas or San Antonio now for rollercoaster fix now. :(

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3350688

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Now that is downright depressing! I have been to AstroWorld many times and love the rides there. Definitely a sad day.

I saw on the news this morning that it's being sold off because of the real estate value. Supposedly it's better for the stock holders.

As much as I like the theme parks here in San Antonio, it was nice having AstroWorld available as an alternative place to go for rides. It's small but jam packed with some good rollercoasters. My most memorable experience was going to AstroWorld in the morning, then taking in a Houston Astros baseball game over in the Astrodome (before they moved) in the afternoon.

RIP AstroWorld and thanks to Six Flags for some great memories.

3. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    Wow,

I too have lots of memories (and old photo's) of Astroworld (and the Astrodome) when I was a kid.

Sad day indeed and it will put more pressure on the parks in SA and Arlington to boot.

4. bobsupra

bobsupra Work In Progress DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 12, 2002
    Corp management of Six Flags is incompetent and that is why Dan Snyder (of the Redskins) wants to buy them. I bought stock in Six Flags when Snyder expressed interest as he has the ability to turn around poorly managed companies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.