1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same PPV problem, strange DTV response

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lsbrodsky, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsbrodsky

lsbrodsky Mentor

Dec 3, 2005
    Yesterday I tried PPV for the first time with my new HR21. When I tried to view it, I got the "searching for authorized..." message. I called DTV and the rep told me they were having some recording problems and that i could watch the movie live. She would not authorize a refund. After a while I asked for a supervisor and received the same response. He told me I had until 6AM to view it. It was 9PM, I did not want to stay up and i calmly explained that I leased a DVR so I could record and watch at my own convenience. I said that it seemed that the record problem was theirs, not mine, so that I should not be forced to pay for something I could not do. He was adamant about no refund. I asked how to escalate further and he offered to cancel the movie and refund. That was all I wanted in the first place.
    This seems strange as my playlist shows a 2 hour recording, but I cannot view it. Since some people are having this problem and some are not, I don't even know when to try PPV again. Maybe I need to join NETFLIX.

2. brianp6621

brianp6621 Legend

Jun 13, 2007
    I am just as annoyed by this as you and I've posted in several threads about this lately.

There is a workaround which makes it not super annoying. You can go online and order the specific viewing you want (time and channel) and then find the same showing on your DVR and set it to record like a normal show. This way it is still unattended recording like you want, but it isn't the 1 step easiness of just clicking to record.

The other thing this workaround doesn't address is the real reason I liked DTVs PPV. You could initially record as many PPV as you want and only pay when/if you finally decide to watch. The solution above obviously commits you to paying for the show right away.

3. lsbrodsky

lsbrodsky Mentor

Dec 3, 2005
    Thanks, DTV did not tell me about the workaround. Even that is better than nothing. I thought I read on the forum that the method now involves not paying until you view but I have not encountered that yet. My prior box was an HR10-250 and you paid when you selected the PPV, then it recorded later.

4. lsbrodsky

lsbrodsky Mentor

Dec 3, 2005
    Brian,

I just did a search on your posts and it was very helpful. When I searched I restricted my search to HR21; I had no idea the problem was on HR20's and only HDPPV. netflix is looking better. Too bad, I enjoyed the convenience of spontaneous purchases from my TV chair.

5. brianp6621

brianp6621 Legend

Jun 13, 2007
    I don't know if the record and purchase later upon viewing and is limited to the HR2xs only but I DO know that it still works on non HD PPV and it USED to work on HD PPV. Something changed (either policy/software or something else) in the last several months where you can't even authorize an HD PPV movie from the box along, much less record it in advance and pay upon viewing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.