1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung HD Reciever Crapped out on me

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ravinpat, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravinpat

ravinpat AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    Hi I had directtv over and they said my reciever is broken. Its not picking up sat 119 and 110. I have a Samsung, unfortuntely I don't have the maintenance plan. Do you have any suggestions?

2. muledoggie

muledoggie AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 6, 2004
    Maybe call and get the protection plan added to your account, wait a few weeks, then call and tell them you're having a problem?

3. ocnier

ocnier Godfather

May 8, 2003
    My samsung did the same thing, I called D* and got the same answer, however I called Samsung directly and got a swap out for free. I am curious what is your specific unit model?

4. ravinpat

ravinpat AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    Hi thanks for getting back to me, the model is SIR-TS160. I think I got it like 2yrs ago and the installer took the box with him, that most likely had the warranty. Now when you called what did they ask you for? I think its ridiculous that it just died like this. Does anyone recommend any other brands or models?

5. May 3, 2005 #5 of 10
    ocnier

ocnier Godfather

May 8, 2003

Just the model and serial number, btw you have the same model that I have.

6. May 4, 2005 #6 of 10
    ravinpat

ravinpat AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    I actually called D and just got a new receiver RCA DTC210, for 200.00 with a one year renewal, they also lowered the price on total choice by 5.00 and gave me starz free for three months.

The installer said that my original install was screwed up, instead of using a 4 by 8 switch he took a short cut and used a 3/4 switch and that may have blown out my receiver.

7. May 5, 2005 #7 of 10
    ocnier

ocnier Godfather

May 8, 2003
    Well, the RCA is a good unit, i just wouldn't have paid the 200 bucks, but if was out of warranty and samsung wouldn't play ball with you then you made the right call. Samsung is usually a good brand, but that particular reciever had major problems. This is my third one (they keep going out before the warranty period ends which gets reset everytime I get a new one), I keep hoping that samsung will do a simple recall and just upgrade me to the next comparable unit. It's kinda funny really.

8. Jun 8, 2005 #8 of 10
    mickler

mickler Cool Member

Jun 5, 2005
    you need to throw away the 160 and get a 360 unit it much better

9. vincentdtroit

vincentdtroit New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Easy fix for your box.

There's a thread on avsforum relating to this. I couldn't locate it quickly as it is extremely old. Bascially you have to run through a process of dish selection to reset it.

I had the same thing happen to me. The sammy was on my living room LCD and I had a HD-Tivo on my projector. Sammy lost all HD D* channels. Couldn't locate 110. Finally found the thread and followed the procedures. Fixed it immediately. I printed out a copy for my records, I'll post the link when I find it.

I was about to buy a new box or wait for a swapout for MPEG4 boxes, same as you, checked all cables, etc. etc. all the bs.

It's great that they won't make their CSR's aware of the solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.