1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'San Francisco' one-hit wonder Scott McKenzie dies at 73

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Aug 20, 2012.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From Fox News:

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Amazingly...I've heard that "one hit wonder" song in various movies as well...

It sticks in your head once you've heard it.

RIP Mr. McKenzie.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, it does have that tendency.

Lyrics that don't get remembered:

Thank you, and R.I.P.

4. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Great...now that tune is stuck in my head as I drive to the airport.... :D:lol:

Lyrics aside...that music is likely one of the more recognizable ones over a long time period.

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    OK, think of this:

Round, round, round, round,
    I get around! Ohuuoouh.... etc.

:D

6. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks....a big help... :eek2::lol:

So on topic...what's clear is Scott left a lasting legacy that is part of American culture. Very cool - and thanks to him for that.

7. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Oh, Heavens! <smacks forehead> Going OT in an OT forum! :eek2:

Yes, on the legacy, and thanks to Mr. Bear for posting that.

8. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Tiny Tim had an even greater legacy on American popular culture in the 1960s and I sure hope we don't start celebrating him, too. :nono2:

Actually, I met Tiny years later. We both worked a public event and he was a charming man.

Scott McKenzie, though, if I'd met him, things might have turned out differently. I would have had to smother him with flowers, and not in a good way.

RIP Scott. I'm sure that song bought you a new house along the way.

9. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Oh, my, what an image. I haven't had Tiny Tim cross my mind for decades.... Uh, thanks a lot.:eek2: Glad to know, though, he was a stand up kind of guy.

Is there music from that era you do like?

10. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Tonnage, and a lot of it is pop music. I've always been a fan of pop music.

Staying with the somewhat obscure, I like:

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night - The Electric Prunes
    Lies - The Knickerbockers
    Pushin' Too Hard - The Seeds
    Psychotic Reaction - Count Five
    Farmer John - The Premiers

There is just something so disposable about Scott's and Tiny's work. It was designed to capture a moment and when that moment was gone, most of the value to their work vanished, too.

Sugar, Sugar by The Archies is ten times the song that If You're Going To San Francisco is.

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Thank you Scott McKenzie. RIP.

And darned, a lot of people whose work has been a part of my life are dying.... :(

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Even though I was only three when it was released, that was a big song for me and in my life.

RIP Scott.

13. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Indian Lake - The Cowsills

14. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    No kidding, never heard a single one of these...

15. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    OK, you score big on the obscure scale! :) None of those ring a bell, but perhaps if I heard them a few might.

Sugar, Sugar is a fine song, but the value of anyone of these is pretty personal, and not necessarily linked to the purity or goodness, or technical goodies, etc. of the song in question, no?

16. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I would disagree. Those songs, and many others, take you back to the time so you can remember it. That's what makes them great.

17. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Laxguy's got it right. If you heard them, you'd go, "I know that song."

I'd disagree. The perfect pop song is often mindless fluff, a cotton candy spinning of guitar hooks, major key organ chords and a nifty drum riff, all topped with shimmering three part harmony vocals. There are rules here. Getting that perfect combination of meaningless sweetness and infectious energy just right is a trick and a half. That what makes a classic like I'm A Believer such a perfect pop song.

If I remember the story right, and it's been a few years, Scott McKenzie hadn't been to San Francisco when he recorded the song. It was written by John Phillips, the leader of The Mamas and the Papas and an old band mate of Scott's. It was designed to capture the magic that was Haight Ashbury in 1966, but by the time it became a hit in 1967, The Summer of Love was already turning into a scene of prostitution and hard drugs. The story of the total decline of the Haight district in 1968 and 1969 cannot be told without blaming that song. Kids from all over the world came to San Francisco singing of flowers in their hair and expecting to find peace and free love, and instead ended up penniless, living on the street with VD and hooked on heroin.

Maybe it does for you, spartanstew. I hear the song and I think of the loss of innocence in the tough city that was San Francisco in the early 1970s when I was going to college there.

Ooh, good one.

Little Bit O' Soul - The Music Explosion (later covered by the Ramones)

18. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I had never wondered who sang Are You Going to San Francisco. If someone had asked me that earlier today, I would have started guessing from a handful of better known singers of that era with soft voices.

My Friend, the Witch Doctor is ten times the song that Sugar, Sugar is! :p

[youtube]PhJ1wa3phFQ[/youtube]

By one account, the schism between Don Kirshner and the Monkees came to a head when some of the Monkees deemed that recording Sugar, Sugar was beneath them.

19. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    So, it does take you back and cause you to remember.

20. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Also co-writer of Kokomo if you want a song to stick with you.