1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

San Jose Sharks

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ImTheDuke, May 23, 2013.

1. ImTheDuke

ImTheDuke New Member

May 23, 2013
    Danville Ca
    So the Hawks/Wings game is on NBCSN at 5pm PST. They have the Sharks/Kings on the same channel and that game starts at 7.30. Meanwhile, they have the Rangers Bruins on CNBC and that game starts at 4pm. Why wouldn't they put the Sharks game on CNBC to lessen the chance of one game running long into the other? This on it's own is pretty dumb but what makes it really bad is that DTV doesn't switch over to the Shark game when it starts. So the biggest game of the year to date we here in the Bay Area won't be able to watch(if you have DTV. Comcast and Uverse I know are switching ). At least not the first period in all likely hood and possible more if the Hawk game goes into overtime. Incredibly bad service by either NBC or DTV I don't know who to blame.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What makes you think you won't be able to watch your game? What happened last Thursday when the games overlapped? All I missed was the per-game of the western game.

3. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Since DirecTV is a national provider, they can't do a local switch over on the main channel like cable can. What will probably happen if the early game goes over is the NHL Network will pick up the later game nationally like they did last week while the local cable systems had a reverse mirror where the early game moved to the NHL Network.

It's the same with ESPN2 when they have their reverse mirrors with ABC during college football season or with RSN subregions like FS Midwest vs Kansas City and Indiana. On cable, where the switch occurs at the headend, you get your local game on the main channel, on satellite you have to use the alternates.

As for who to blame, blame NBC for scheduling games so close together on the same channel. DirecTV has no control over how NBC schedules the games.

4. ImTheDuke

ImTheDuke New Member

May 23, 2013
    Danville Ca
    Thanks for the replies. Bruins/Rangers ran late in front of Sharks/Kings Game 2 last week. Nothing switched over. Nothing was available on any other NBC channel. Including the alternate NBC channels. Nothing on the NHL Network either. Same thing for Game 4 on Tuesday. It didn't matter because Rangers Bruins 3 ended just in time. kind of bizarre.Tonight I would say it's almost certain that the Wings/Hawks runs into the Shark game. Anyway, It's great when Comcast is doing the broadcasts because they always have alternate channels that picks up the slack. NBC is awful.

5. TJNash

TJNash AllStar

Jun 5, 2012
    San Diego
    Wrong. Sharks/Kings Game 2 started on the NHL Network.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Here is what happened in FL last Thursday when the east game went into OT. NBCSN did a 'live look in" at the beginning of the west game. When the Boston/NY game came back on, NBCSN carried that and the west game was on NHLN. The announcers said (and I haven't seen anyone from LA/Bay area say differently), that those two markets could continue to watch the LA/SJ game on NBCSN or they could watch the OT game on the NHLN. But I don't know if that did happen for the two local markets in CA.

Of course NBC's motto "All the games on the networks of NBC" goes out the window when they move a game to the NHLN.

Yes, scheduling any playoff game only 2.5 hours apart is idiotic. That may be the average time during the regular season, but even w/o OT, games are going over 2.5 hours.

And even though I only missed the 15-minutes of pre-game last week, it also screwed up my recordings.

7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Actually NBC/Comcast owns part of the NHL network so that is technically correct.

8. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    but why does NBC / comcast does not let Directv put the game on NBCSN alt?

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Can't answer that, but it is three minutes before the LA/SJ game, Det/Chi has just under 10 minutes left in the 3rd. Haven't heard what is happening at 10pm. They (NBC) probably won't announce anything until the puck drops in the west, meaning no pre-game broadcast.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    From the LA Kings twitter account:

11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    still odd that can directv can't just light up NBCSN ALT and use the NBCSN feed and not NHLnet with that lower line and people who don't have ultimate or extra classic get locked out.

seeing how years ago they pulled in the alt feeds and VS / nbcSN had on screen info saying directv viewers to see X game go to 604 / 604-1

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I missed the opening 58 seconds of the Sharks' game. No biggie for me, but diff. strokes, diff. folk.

Game on 220, NBCS HD.....

13. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    Coincast owns these channels and they will do anything and everything to screw over DirecTV and their subs. This is nothing new. That's why they won't let D* use the alt feeds.

14. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    You sure about that? They were used this season.