1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat 101 Even Transponders

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wtrax, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 3, 2006 #1 of 10
    wtrax

wtrax AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    I’m getting low to no signal strength on transponders 2,4,6,8,10,12 and lower than the odds on the remaining evens. All my odds are in the 90’s while the remaining evens are averaging the 70’s. I’m getting the feeling from other posts that this may be an LNB issue but I’m looking for a little more input. I’ve also noticed that the test channels 490-494 tune fine if I start at 494 and go sequentially down to 490. If I start at 490 and increment up to 494, 490 is the only one that tunes in properly. I either get a searching message or the test banner will randomly flash on and off for the other channels. I don’t notice any missing channels during the day but at night I lose disc, a&e, spke, to name a few. I have a phase III dish with all new RG6 running directly (no splitters or even grounding blocks) to a Hughes E1 and a HR20. All three tunes show similar signal strengths. The other two satellites are getting good strengths or zeros but they remain consistent with and without the channel drops. So am I looking at a bad LNB or do I need some more troubleshooting? Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 4, 2006 #2 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If both your DirecTV Receiver and DVR are showing this problem and you don't have a multiswitch, then you know it's something wrong at the dish. It could be a problem with dish's built-in multiswitch or LNB. About all you can do is doublecheck the coax connections at the dish to be sure they're dry, snug and corrosion-free. If that doesn't help, then you'll need to replace the LNB assembly (although it might easier/cheaper just to replace the whole dish). If you have DirecTV's Equipment Protection Plan they'll do this for free.

3. Nov 4, 2006 #3 of 10
    wtrax

wtrax AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    So are aiming and obstructions out of the question? I'm at the bottom of a hill and the dish is pointing just off the tree tops. It's never been an issue in the past. I had the original HD receiver (hughes I think) and it started dropping the same channels so I replaced it with the HR20. I didn't have any issues with the SD box at that time though, at least not that I was aware of, that's why I replaced the receiver. I didn't see any problems when I initially swapped them out either.

4. Nov 4, 2006 #4 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Right. It's not an aiming issue if you're only missing even transponders. That problem has to do with the switching voltage not properly reaching or activating the two transponder polarities (one for odds, one for evens).

It's time to check those dish connections, or replace the dish/LNB.

5. Nov 4, 2006 #5 of 10
    Lowry666

Lowry666 AllStar

Sep 24, 2006
    Have you changed anything besides the receivers? I had this problem a long time ago and it turned out to be a bad fitting on one of my coaxs. I had missed a couple of shield braids that were shorting to the center conductor. Because you lose channels at night, I would say you have a bad LNB. Go ahead and make the switch to the AT9. If you have HD call D* and they will swap it for free, just have to wait for an apointment, or if you're like me, impatient, get one online and install it yourself. If you need an LNB, contact me by PM, I have 2 Phase IIIs collecting dust, I'll give you a deal on one of the LNBs.

Lowry

6. Nov 4, 2006 #6 of 10
    gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    How do you use the test channels 490, 491, 493, 494. I understand they are for installation and see if your dish is aligned.

7. Nov 4, 2006 #7 of 10
    wtrax

wtrax AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    Thanks, I'll probably go the AT9 route. I'm getting mostly 70's on my evens today but there are a couple 50's and all the odds are still >90.

I have always done the install of dishes myself. I haven't found it particularly difficult to install the smaller dishes, hows the AT9?

8. Nov 4, 2006 #8 of 10
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I installed mine in about 30 minutes. Instruction videos are available online as well. Only problem is the dish is heavy, and uses a rather non-standard mast size. Its more a case of where you want to put it than how difficult it is to install. I aimed mine using a combination of the installation videos, and used the signal meters on my receiver instead of a handheld meter.

9. Nov 4, 2006 #9 of 10
    Lowry666

Lowry666 AllStar

Sep 24, 2006
    As the guy in The Waterboy said, "You can do it!" The nice thing about the HR20 signal strength screen is that it shows the chart with all the transponders. You don't have to step through all of them like the HR10. The setup is a little more detailed, but read the instructions and watch the vids on the other site, sorry can't remember the site right now, and you will be fine. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD SOLID MOUNTING LOCATION! This dish is alot heavier than the Phase III dish. Let us know if you need any pointers, it's not too bad to set up. GOOD LUCK AND AMEN TO DO IT YOURSELFERS!!!!

Lowry

P.S. My name is Lowry and I am an istallaholic.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Basically all that they do is show you that you are in fact receiving all of the possible signalling combinations - even (left hand circular polarity) and odd (right hand circular polarity) transponders from all three (101, 110, 119) satellites (actually you only get evens on 110 I think).

If you are using a 3-LNB dish or a 5-LNB dish, then you should get the banner on each of those channels that tells you the correct voltage and polarity.

They are not for aligning your dish, but are for verifying it is correctly aligned to receive all 3 satellites.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.