1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sat 101, locals gone, no change of address was given??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gfireboy22, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gfireboy22

gfireboy22 New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    I share a subscription with a friend who lives in Portland Oregon. He is the subscriber. I have had the Tivo receiver in Vancouver B.C. Canada for two years without any problems. I just moved to Red Deer Alberta which is 200 to 300 miles North of Montana. There was a question of whether or not the 18 inch dish would be good enough. Well I got every single transponder at 85% or better, but no matter what I do, the transpoders that give me local Portland channels don't get any signal at all. So my question is; will a bigger dish solve this issue? If the dish is too small then why is every other channel just fine? If anyone knows exactly what my problem is, then I would appreciate the help??

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I would imagine you are out of the range of the Portland spot beams.

And Welcome to DBSTalk

3. gfireboy22

gfireboy22 New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    what is a spot beam and does that mean I have no way of getting the channels. Sure sounds bad??

4. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    What you are doing is a BIG no-no and is not something that I'm sure folks (owner of board, moderator, etc.) want to hear about around here. What you are doing, intentionally or not is "theft of signal."

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Typically locals channels are beamed into a spot that covers a relatively small area. The dish size would not matter because the signal is beamed to a specific area and I would suspect you are well beyond its coverage.

6. gfireboy22

gfireboy22 New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    nevermind, I just read about the bad news. Just great, now I have to watch all the stupid Canadian channels on their crappy satellite. That RV thing sounds great to get the East, West channels, but he isn't that great of a friend to go through that fuss.

7. gfireboy22

gfireboy22 New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Thanks Morgan, and as soon as the FTA topic is removed from the forum, then we can keep it all legal. At least I actually pay for the service, totals $100 a month between the two of us. Why do guys like you have to put in your two cents? How about you try out Canadian satellite and then we'll see if you don't work something out with an American friend. Thanks to the others for just answering the question.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A spot beam is similar in function to a spot light versus a flood light. The beam is directed to a relatively small area. A spot beam serves two purposes:

1. It allows the provider to use the same frequencies in many different locations across the service area.

2. I keeps people who are using the service in violation of the customer agreement from from accessing the signal.

You fall into category #2. Your friend in Portland is also in category #2, but is still in the spot beam and what DIRECTV doesn't know won't hurt him.

A larger dish probably isn't going to help as the range of a spotbeam is less than 500 miles across and falls off exponentially at the fringe.

9. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Easy there gfireboy22, eh? My two cents are worth just as much as yours. If you don't care for a diversity of responses then perhaps you should think twice before posting to an "open" forum.

10. hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34 Legend

Aug 13, 2002
    I think what he is saying is that sharing of an account is the problem... which has nothing to do with you being in Canada.

Now you could sign up on your own account. Just provide a US address (maybe even find an address that has no Local coverage and you get your waivers so you don't have to worry about spot beams). Then you'd both be paying for your service and I don't think anyone would care....

11. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Precisely.

12. Spike

Spike Legend

Jul 4, 2007
    Thanks morgantown for your posts. You said exactly what I was going to say. You just have quicker fingers than I do. I grow tired of these end justifies the means thieves. gfireboy22, you are a thief! I truly hope that you get busted for it too!

13. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    For those who don't live close to the Canadian border, the Nimiq1 sat that carries Bell Expressvu is 'hot as a pistol' signal level wise (but it's footprint has to reach far up into the Northern Territories and such!). It's easy to home in on it by mistake when setting up a dish in these parts.

But they have the main U.S. networks, grabbing the Seattle affiliates (west) and Boston (east), as well as several 'superstations' like WGN and KTLA and the like. So if the original poster thought they'd be 'out in the cold' from U.S. style programming, not to be.

14. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    I think I am going to see if my neighbor wants to have D* and then I'll just add the $4.99 extra receiver fee and then we can split the bill down the middle. J/K!!!

I find it hard to understand how somebody would have the cajones to post to an open forum about their anger of losing channels from a stolen signal to begin with. IIRC, the only "legal" place to receive a signal is at the address of the subscriber, correct?

15. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    About the only thing stupider would be posting the name and US address.:)

16. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.