1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAT HD Locals VS OTA HD Locals Quality Comparison

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by logray, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logray

logray Godfather

Apr 8, 2005
    I was watching a recent PGA golf tournament on my local CBS affiliate KOVR in Sacramento. VIP-211.

Switching back and forth between my OTA feed and the Dish feed I noticed some pretty bad jaggies and tearing on the Dish feed.

Since I noticed this, I've compared other stations and it seems that it only happens on stations that are 1080i. Guessing this has nothing due to MPEG4 but is perhaps due to the down conversion from the stations native format, 1080i to what Dish is broadcasting, 720p? (p.s. haven't checked to see if that resolution is what Dish is actually re-broadcasting the station in).

I've since noticed this on pretty much any program I watch, therefore I pretty much just stick to the OTA feed and only go to SAT if OTA goes out. Any one else have similar experience thus far?

Call me crazy, but I also notice a very slight degredation in quality on the SAT HD locals when compared to OTA HD locals.

p.s. sorry if this has been covered before.

2. abricko

abricko Mentor

Mar 1, 2006
    I notice difference, if I'm watching FOX or ABC HD programs... they are broadcast at 720p and my 622 is set to 1080i, so until they introduce native (resolution) passthrough those differences will exist. Also I'm sure there will always be differences in PQ due to the fact they are taking a digital (compressed) signal and re-compressing it to MPEG4 so in theory it's going to be one generation worse.

3. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    I'm no expert, but, I would think the ota reception of anything has to be the signal in its most perfect form-digital signal.

4. Mark Strube

Mark Strube Cool Member

May 9, 2006
    Too bad MPEG4 is the only way they can do the locals to save bandwidth... hopefully their encoders will improve before all the other HD stations go to that.

5. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003

I see the same thing on my HOuston Cbs station . It too is broadcast in 1080i but Dish downconverts it to 720p in mpeg4 and it looks like a robotic jittery version of the ota signal. The ota signal looks fine but the Dish hd version looks like it is not even life like on live video news reports. The Abc and Fox both look fine but they are broadcast in 720p so it doesn't look much different than the ota versions. I've sent several emails to the dishquality folks but they have yet to get it right. But I keep sending them and I encourage others to do so too. Include your phone number and keep sending them till they get it right.

dishquality@echostar.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.