1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat sales tax included in NY gov's plan to balance budget

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by FTA Michael, Dec 18, 2008.

1. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    This has been bouncing around for a while, but here's the Multichannel News story covering the angle we care about:

"Among the 88 new fees, 10 fines and 39 new tax items in the proposed budget, (NY Gov. David) Paterson has recommended applying a sales tax on video and radio services delivered by cable, satellite or 'by similar means.' The governor justified the recommendation noting that 23 other states tax video services. The current sales tax in New York state is 4%."

Of course the satellite companies will fight it. Yes, it would be nice if no one needed to pay taxes on anything, anywhere, so if you were planning to say that, I just said it for you. ;)

Full story: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6623654.html?nid=2226&rid=reg_visitor_id&source=link

2. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Darned Bender with that rapier-like wit beat me to the punch again. Why can't the government just win the powerball or something? ;)

Of course, one could argue that it's not fair to tax basic living things like groceries and prescription drugs, but then exempt useless luxury items like cable and satellite.

3. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Taxes are to support the infrastructure. You pay property taxes to pay for the police, fire and schools (among other things). What service is the town/state providing that requires additional taxes when you put up a satellite dish?

4. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    :up:

5. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    You'll need the local police if someone steals your satellite receiver, or the fire department if a bad installer left you vulnerable to a lightning strike. :D

As you said, taxes support the infrastructure. Come up with the best way of dividing that burden and you're all set.

6. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    We also need to pay to have an Attorney General, prosecutors, judges and other court officials to help keep the satellite providers in line. Although, in reality we're probably paying for them to protect the satellite providers and their anti-piracy campaigns more than anyone.

7. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Trying to keep from getting political here but keeping the satcasters in line and anti-piracy efforts are paid for by the taxes that E* and D* pay. Mind you they also pay property taxes on their facilities (I can imagine how much an uplink facility costs).

Basically, what's happened here is that states that have let spending run away are looking in all the couch cushions looking for new revenues instead of ... well, I'm starting to go off on a rant so I'll stop there.

8. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Of course you're correct about the spending, but what I was trying to point out is that you can attribute or not attribute any particular tax to related expenses...if the tax revenues are headed to the general fund it's useless to do so because no one is held responsible.

9. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Lets just say I live in California, and things are a mess. But, no satellite tax... yet.

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That current sales tax of 4% in NY is the state sales tax. Each county can add on additional % as needed. In my county it's 4%. So will my county also add on their 4%? Up until a year ago I saw about $.50 sales tax on my DirecTV bill. Not sure what part of the bill was being taxed.