1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SATA ESATA port cable plug question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by ItsMeJTO, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsMeJTO

ItsMeJTO AllStar

Dec 21, 2006
    Could an SATA Ghuru please explain what type of plug/cable is required to fit the external sata port on the HR20. It seems to be flat without the "J" and none of my sata cables fit. Is there such a thing as an external sata plug.
    -john-

2. jgriffin104

jgriffin104 Mentor

Sep 21, 2006
    You need an Esata to Sata cable. Try Fry's or Ebay.

3. ItsMeJTO

ItsMeJTO AllStar

Dec 21, 2006
    Hm !! , oh well, wonder why " THEY " used a different connector to the ones on the drives and motherboards, especially when they are a little hard to find, especially locally. Thanks for the info, I learned something new today again ...

-john-

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Wondereing ? Then read eSATA standard and you'll find why the connector if different. There was a link in eSATA thread.

5. ItsMeJTO

ItsMeJTO AllStar

Dec 21, 2006
    Oh I'm sure there is, seem to remeber that one is stronger than the other, designed for frequent use, which is fine as long as I know now what the difference is, shame most of the sellers on ebay don't know the differences either.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You got it right, make me wondering now why you did ask ;).

7. ItsMeJTO

ItsMeJTO AllStar

Dec 21, 2006
    I asked because I wasn't aware there was a difference till I tried to use an sata cable, obviosly now, it was meant for an internal device. Thanks for the help though ............. oh I forgot, you didn't did you.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    NP :D

9. Tarheel115

Tarheel115 Cool Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Long time reader New poster....I'm adding the seagate 750gb external drive to my hr-20..I need the correct cable to hook it up..Frys.com has esata to sata cables ..Is this what I need ?? Sorry new poster I can't provide link to web site..Thanks for your help..

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums, tarheel115! :welcome_s

You want an eSATA to eSATA cable. I got mine at amazon, but many places including frys will have it.

Cheers,
    Tom

11. Tarheel115

Tarheel115 Cool Member

Apr 11, 2007
    eSata to eSata Thanks Tom

12. GollyGee

GollyGee AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    FYI, SATA and eSATA are very nearly the same thing.

The an eSATA cable is thicker (more shielding), which allows a maximum length of 2 meters (max length of plain old SATA is of 1 meter). The connector is different. The pin-out is exactly the same, but the internal SATA cable connection was only designed to withstand 50 insertions, which isn't robust enough for an external connection.

eSATA cable = thicker, more robust connector on each end.

Maybe you didn't need to know all that... :)

13. Tarheel115

Tarheel115 Cool Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Good info..I just wanted to get the correct cable that will fit the back of the hr-20 and the seagate external hard drive Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.