1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA prices coming down

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by JFHughes08088, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    No, I don't work for eCost, but I do get daily emails from them letting me know of price drops, etc.

1 TB SATA enclosure (which houses two 500 Gb drives) for $239. Now, I wonder if they make a USB2.0 to SATA converter cable?

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?EDP=37690578&Source=EWB082707EML

2. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
  3. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    You're going to seriously reduce the speed of data transfer to/from the drive if it does work. This MAY cause issues for the HR20.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    ..especially because a USB enclosure is probably doing a USB -> SATA conversion in the enclosure. SATA's faster, so the latency is minimal, but to do it twice when you don't have to, that's not real wise.

5. jabrwocky7

jabrwocky7 AllStar

Oct 22, 2006
    Wouldn't there be a drop in performance using USB2.0 instead of eSATA? I don't see the value if it doesn't have eSATA connections.

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    A DVR relies on fast I/O to the disk. The faster the better when manipulating 3 or 4 HD streams. So I suggest everyone stay away, far away from USB drives as replacements for the internal.

And to be clear, if DIRECTV creates an archive drive arrangement via USB, that would almost certainly be a very controlled interface for archiving or sharing, so would be a different animal. (And no, I am not expecting any such drive.)

Cheers,
    Tom

(And I'm moving this thread to the HR20 Information Resources forum.)

7. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    In the Sunday morning newspaper ads I noticed a 500GB internal SATA drive on sale at either circuitcity or bestbuy for $119. My internal HR20 drive is acting up. All new recordings have stop-start, long pause, stutter problems.

Can I buy the internal SATA drive to replace the HR20 internal drive ?
    Will it load the software on the drive automatically on power up like when you connect an eSATA drive ? or would I need to some how load some software on the drive before it's installed ?

I know it's a piece of cake to connect and eSATA drive, but I'm looking for a solution without having anything extra connected to the HR20.

Thanks.

8. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Why not get a Seagate FreeAgent 750 GB this weekend at Fry's for $229?

That is not just the enclosure, that is the disk as well. Many have already bought it with good results.

All you need to add is the eSATA cable for $10-$20 bucks.

- Craig

9. Volman

Volman Godfather

Jul 13, 2007
    Get a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750 GB this week at Circuit City for $199!!!!As per ad in Sunday paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.