1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

satellite box is over the temp limit.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by IndyMichael, Mar 29, 2013.

1. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    ForumRunner_20130329_184111.png

Never seen this before. It's our oldest r22, now being used as a HD dvr.

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Do you hear a fan running? Have you recently moved it into an enclosed space or put other equipment in close proximity to it? If you dont hear a fan running its quite possible that the internal fan failed.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I had an HR21 that started doing that. After a couple of days, it would never get out of that overheating/cooling down cycle. When I called DirecTV, they rolled a truck. The tech saw that screen and immediately replaced the unit. With a brand new HR24 (it was all they had on their truck).

So if you haven't recently moved the unit, I'd watch any recordings you have on that unit. It's days may be numbered.

4. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    what is the normal temp for a R22 being used as HD in fahrenheit. his is in celsius

5. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I moved it today, but it wasn't enclosed and was working fine. Then I unplugged it to move it back to it's regular tv and got the message I took a pic of, when I plugged it back in. Don't know why it got hot in the first place, but the fan was working when the message popped up and continued to cool it, it's 109F now. Odd the warning is in C and the unit settings show it in F. 109F is 42 C, it was 142 F or 61C earlier.

6. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    It does not matter if it is being used as an HD or SD unit. The normal temp range in farenheit on my R22-200 is between 102 and 108 degrees.

The R22 has TWO fans-one on the back and one underneath the HDD. I do not know where the temperature measurement is taken but I assume it's quite close to the HDD which is the most heat-sensitive component.