1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite Buffer

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by nkeeper, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 5, 2004 #1 of 22
    nkeeper

nkeeper New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I have been told that Dish buffers their signal at their end on all channels so that I am never really watching live TV. Is this true? If so, How does it work?

Thanks.

Richard

2. Apr 5, 2004 #2 of 22
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I would imagine that there is a miniscule buffer on the encoders just for processing purposes, but as far as I can tell, there are no buffers on my local channels. Flipping back and forth between the two, they are 2-3 seconds out-of-sync which would be an expected delay considering you have to encode them, send them to Colorado, and bounce them off a satellite.

3. Apr 5, 2004 #3 of 22
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    There is some delay at Echostar during the encoding process but much of the delay is getting feeds from the locals stations to Echostar and then back to your dish.

4. Apr 5, 2004 #4 of 22
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The previous two posters said pretty much the same thing. I will add to that only that a DVT introduces another 2-3 second delay. I have heard the same audio 3 times in my house. Always a bit odd but understandable.

5. Apr 5, 2004 #5 of 22
    Big Bob

Big Bob Godfather

May 13, 2002
    In reality, you are never watching "Live" TV anymore. All along the signal path, there are delays and buffers. But they all add up to less than a second in total.

I wouldn't worry about it

6. Apr 5, 2004 #6 of 22
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Encoding and decoding introduces a substantial delay. So does recording on a hard drive and then reading it off of the drive, That said, I still get the content off of my 721 before the DirecTV signal comes out. :)

As far as live goes, everybody knows you can't send pictures through the air. :)

7. Apr 5, 2004 #7 of 22
    jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    I assume that even when you are caught up to "live" on a DVR unit, it is still streaming to the disk and then reading from the disk to decode, correct? I expected more of a delay than I get. If I compare two images side-by-side on the same TV -- one from my 501 and one from my 811 -- the 501 is delayed only a tiny fraction of a second. I actually thought that it would be a bit more. Impressive.

- John...

8. Apr 5, 2004 #8 of 22
    jpoklop

jpoklop AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    I had both cable and Dish in my house. For comparison, the Dish signal (through a 501) was always about 3 seconds delayed from the same local channel on cable. I never worried about it, but you do get a strange echo from the other room.

9. Apr 5, 2004 #9 of 22
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I've noticed a similar delay between my local CBS outlet's analog signal (via cable) and their digital OTA signal. Interesting...

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That's why you have to buy a new TV every few years. They can only pre-load so much content before they sell it to you. Satellite systems help as the receiver comes preloaded with all the programs you will ever watch without needing to store them in the TV. The dish or OTA antenna is only used to receive sync information to let your receiver or TV know when to play back the shows.

Copyright and other restrictions don't allow you to see the stored programming until the release time, and then only once. It is strongly encrypted to prevent hackers from stealing information such as who the final Survivor will be or the outcome of the Superbowl.

There has been some movement to remove the restrictions on advanced viewing when it comes to weather alerts, especially fatal storms. Unfortunatly the government doesn't want to get into temporal policing ... so for now even life saving information is locked in your set until the moment it was scheduled to air.

One further note: I wish I was this creative last Thursday. If you believe any of this, you may wish to consult reality. :D

JL
    Post 1040 ... Don't let it tax your mind.

11. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    That's because digital signals move slower than analog signals due to the increased bias oscillating flux of the multipath frequency harmonic. I thought everybody knew that.

12. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    Can you get me next weeks lottery numbers?

13. amit5roy5

amit5roy5 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 3, 2004
    Yes, there is a 2 second delay. Oh well! :(

14. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Yeehaw!! :lol:

15. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    My HD channels are right on with by brother watching ball games closer to the area that the game is being played....in other words, ESPNHD and CBSHD are in sync with his cable ESPN and CBS. If I switch to the regular CBS or ESPN through my Dish Network, the signal is out of sync slower by 3 seconds or so. I can be on ESPNHD...watch a play then flip to ESPN and see it again. That makes no sense to me.

ESPN Game Plan and Full Court are always lagging way behind the real local signal...5-6 sec.

Can anyone explain all of that?

16. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    For a Franklin, I'll give you last week's winning numbers?

17. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    What I'd like to see explained, is why that would bother anybody.

18. nkeeper

nkeeper New Member

Feb 23, 2004

Thanks for the info guys.

Follow up question:

I am being told that the receiver actually buffers 1-5 seconds of video before it displays it. They are talking about all regular DBS receivers (not dvr, pvr, tivo) that sit on top of our TVs. Just wanting to know if this is true and how it is being done. They said for example; the Dish 322, 111 and 301 do this.

Thanks.

Richard

19. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Well since you asked...I will explain.

I'm a Purdue grad and a big college basketball and football fan. I live about 700 miles from campus and about 400 miles from my brother who will be attending there next year. We both watch the games on TV while sometimes staying on the phone the entire game...but only when the games are in sync. When they aren't, we can talk only during a timeout because he will know what happens 3-5 seconds before me.

When I was on cable, this never happened..but now that I'm on satellite and not watching a HD channel, then there is lag.

I don't really care that you don't understand my TV viewing habits ....I just would like to know why the lag happens.

20. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    Ditto here between my 501 and 301, only a slight echo on audio, therefore a fraction of a second delay. Hopefully there will be no echo after I replace the 301 with the 510.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.