1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Satellite Direct Magazine... Anyone know where I can get individual issues?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kevinwill1, Jul 22, 2010.

1. kevinwill1

kevinwill1 Cool Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Hi, all...

I have checked all of the chain bookstores in my area, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, and Borders, and none of them carry the magazine, though I have seen it at all of them at one point or another in the past (years ago, though). None of the chain drugstores in the area carry it, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, and neither do any of the grocery stores, Target, Best Buy, or Wal-Mart. After looking online for about 6 hours one night recently, the only mentions of it at all I could find were for subscriptions through the Satellite Direct website directly or through a 3rd party magazine seller, which I had rather not do. The DVR and internet have more or less nullified the need for a magazine, but I read my Grandfather's copies when I go to see him (he subscribes, and lives 3 hours away) and I really enjoy the things other than the guide and movie listings.

Of course, there are numerous other options out there, and different magazines that I can find occasionally in the stores, but not this one. I'm getting DirecTV here in a few days, and I was looking forward to getting my hands on a copy before then, which seems like it isn't going to happen. :( Has anybody seen Satellite Direct out in the wild recently?

Thanks!
    KEVIN W

2. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    As far as I know, it's only available through DirecTV and not in any store. If you only want to see one issue I think the best you can do is order a subscription from DirecTV and then tell them you don't like it and cancel it. That's more trouble than just buying one issue at the a store, but I don't think there's another way to get it.

3. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    DirecTV's magazine is Access DirecTV. Satellite Direct is an independent magazine with roots back in the C-band days. I have not seen it in bookstores in a few years.

4. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I have looked for OnSat and Orbit but couldn't find either one at any retail outlets. Sat Direct is the same.

5. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I remember the Satellite Direct magazine from the 1990s. That had lots of cool info and that was way before dbstalk.com was around. I still have a few copies from 1998.

6. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010

7. kevinwill1

kevinwill1 Cool Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. It looks like I am going to give up on this one. Have a good weekend!

KEVIN W