1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite Heater

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by PK6301, May 19, 2012.

1. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I know it is the 19th of May and Spring has barely begun, but I just had my Directv Satellite System installed about two weeks ago. My Satellite Dish is about 18 feet in the air on top of the roof, so I do not want to go up there if I do have to to brush off snow. I live in NW Pennsylvania near Lake Erie and we get on Average between 8-10 feet of snow during the winter months.

1) can you recommend a good manufacturer.
    2) can you reccomend a good supplier
    3) is it a self install, or should a professional do it

I have a Slimline-35 (SWM) Satellite Dish

Thank You for your help..

2. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    I'm not the best resource for this, since my area hasn't seen snow for 10+ years, but I hear good things about the hotshot heater.

3. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I am going on 3 years with the Hotshot near Denver and I have yet to lose signal due to snow!

4. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    We put hotshots on the reflectors of our commercial properties in the northeast and dont have any issues

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I live in NY where we get a lot of snow, and only once in the 9 years we've been here has snow on the dish caused a loss of signal (for about 4 hours, until the sun came out). You may want to give it a winter to see if you even need one. And if snow is an issue, a SuperSoaker filled with warm water will likely do the trick.

6. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I just might give that a try.. I dont know..I do not want to climb onto the roof to brush off if I do not have too, or climb up to install either.. I will give it a shot..wait and see..Otherwise I am very happy so far with my serrvice and set-up.

7. pjschwartz

pjschwartz AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
    I've had an Ice Zapper in services since 2008. It basically uses the same technology as as those self adhesive oil pan heaters used for automobile engines.

I have only had to plug it in three times, but each time, it quickly shed ice / wet snow from my dish.

I like product because it attaches to the backside of the dish reflector and has no impact on the signal.

8. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    Giving my +1 on the Hotshot. I have one on my dish at home and purchased one for my Dad's and neither of us have had any issues with snow, ice or sleet buildup on the dish since doing so. They can be left plugged in year round as the power supply has an on/off switch. The unit also won't start heating the dish until the temp drops to 32F or below via built-in thermostat.

9. Lindsey-Star

Lindsey-Star Cool Member

Jul 22, 2010
    And will create a nice layer of ice after the water cools and freezes again... :rolleyes:

10. unixguru

unixguru Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    +1