1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite Internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by marquitos2, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1 of 22
    marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    I have an HR24-100 and I will like VOD. The problem is that I live out in the country and we don't have internet in my area. I'm thinking of getting Hughes Satellite. I need some feed back about it.

2. Aug 2, 2010 #2 of 22
    kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    The problem with satellite internet is that they have download limits like cell phone companies do. You could easily go though that limit in a day. But some satellite company's allow unlimited data during off times 12 am to 5am, so that is when you would need to do your downloading.

3. Aug 2, 2010 #3 of 22
    Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    VOD is difficult even with true broadband Internet.

Satellite Internet has many limits Fair-Access-Policy,shared transponders,Rate Limits and Latency issues, you can try but you probably won't be happy with the results.

If you want to try I suggest Hughesnet,Make sure you understand the cost,terms and limits before you sign the 18-24 month contract!

It will take 1.5 - 2+ hours to download your average VOD program.

4. Aug 2, 2010 #4 of 22
    poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh Mentor

Oct 14, 2006
    I had wildblue for 3 years. It started out ok, but as they over sold capacity it eventually ended up slower than dialup. I would never recommend it.

Do you get 3G or Evdo signal from AT&T or verizon? I have a mobile broadband card from verizon and I get over 130k second download which is way faster than wildblue was. Unfortunately it's $60 a month for 5GB. You have to be careful streaming too much video or it could get costly.

5. Aug 3, 2010 #5 of 22
    marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    Thanks to y'll for the advised. Not to many choices for folks that live out the country.

6. Aug 3, 2010 #6 of 22
    Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    Are there any wireless ISP's in your area? They are often less expensive than satellite or 3G, and many have no bandwidth limits.

7. Aug 3, 2010 #7 of 22
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Let me first start out by saying I have never had satellite internet. I was on here once and saw a picture of a satellite with StarBand painted on it and looked into seeing what it was. Apparently, based on what I have read, they are the way to go since their download caps reset faster than Hughes or Wild Blue, and the caps seem like the biggest issue when using satellite internet. As for the quality or anything like that, I have no idea, but based on my own yet very limited research, if I had to pick one right now to get installed here it would be StarBand.

8. Aug 3, 2010 #8 of 22
    Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    Avoid satellite internet unless there is absolutely no other option, including any sort of cell-phone based internet. You won't be able to do VOD unless you have a land-based connection, or a generous WiSP, but not cell phone or satellite internet.

If you know someone within a few miles who can get cable or DSL, you could set up a wifi link.

9. Aug 3, 2010 #9 of 22
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If you know someone that has high speed internet that is served by the same phone company central office (CO) as you are, consider this:
    http://www.odessaoffice.com/sdsl.htm

You can get the modems a lot cheaper than when this was written, btw. Looks like he finally got it to 1.6Mbps. It would pay for itself quickly at the cost of satellite internet at that speed. :)

10. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    I also live in well out in the country with limited internet options. I've had Hughesnet service for about 5 years now. The service is far from perfect and has its limitations, but, once one learns to live with those limitations, it can be lived with and is, to me, far superior to having to live with dial up.

You will find both well satisfied Hughes customers and also those who are as dissatisfied as can be. You might get a more complete view of both the positives and negatives by asking some questions on the DSL Reports forums. I'd post the url, but I don't have enough posts to be allowed to do so.

Here are a few important points that you should consider before going to Hughes service. First, here are a few of the limitations. There are bandwidth limits. Depending on which plan you have, they can be as small as 250 MB per day on the base ($60 per month plan) and up to 650 MB per day on some of the more expensive plans. However, there is a 5 hour block of time overnight when downloads are unlimited. If you can use a download manager to take advantage of the unlimited download time for large downloads, the bandwidth limits can be quite tolerable. You also have to learn to live with higher latency because of the distance signals have to travel to the satellite. My pings generally range from about 500 ms to about 1000 ms. You eventually get used to the latency, but the systems will not work well for gaming or for internet-based phone systems. Another downside is that Hughes customer care and tech support are the worst I've ever dealt with. They make DirecTV customer care and support, which are sometimes less than satisfactory, look like a model of perfect customer care.

Another reality is that, if you want consistent performance and speeds, you need to step up beyond the basic $60/month plan. A reality of satellite service is that it costs Hughes a lot of money to provide bandwidth via the satellite, and, with a $60/month plan, they are overselling gateways. With lots of people sharing small amounts of bandwidth, you are likely to get severe reductions in speed during peak time. As you step up the line with regard to service plans and cost, the number of customers with whom you are sharing bandwidth goes down. I have a $120/month plan (Elite plan), and I get my advertised 2000 down and 300 up speeds virtually 24/7.

If you want to proceed with getting Hughes service, I'd suggest insisting that you get service on the newer Ka band satellite with a 9000 modem. Customers with 9000 service (on the newer Spaceway 3 satellite) seem to have fewer issues and more consistent service than those with the 7000S modems on the Ku band satellites. I've had my 9000 modem service for over 2 years now, and it has been solid and reliable. It certainly isn't the match for terrestrially based high speed services, but it is far superior to dial up, and with no other alternatives, I wouldn't consider giving it up.

Again, I'd suggest visiting the DSL Reports forum, but, if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Les

11. nevea2be

nevea2be Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    Edit: ^ nice first post Les and one can get a lot of good information from DSLreports.com

Depending on how far out in the country you are if you get enough neighbors looking for Internet or cable then your local phone or cable company may offer to install a line. It would cost your all a good amount to get the line but you would have much better service then dealing with satellite Internet.

12. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    I too live in the sticks but I'm lucky enough to have a wireless option. I can't go straight to the tower so they put up a repeater on my neighbor's house and two of us get service from that. Another neighbor down the road from me has satellite internet and there is a ladder that stays at the dish on the roof permanently. I don't think that's a good sign. :D

13. Rob77

Rob77 Godfather

Sep 24, 2007
    I had Starband for two years.....their internet service is bad, and their customer service is bad....and you cannot trust them. When I returned my LNB they were suppose to send me $60.00....ya right, and the check is in thed mail NOT !!

14. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Sounds like the home brew SDSL may be the thing to look at then. StarBand seemed so good too...

15. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Befoure you spend any money take a good look at Directv VOD, There is not that much on it. I have very good internet service with no caps and we never use VOD, we just record what we want to see.

16. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    I hope that my previous post did not over-emphasize the downside of Hughes service. While I'd jump at the chance for a terrestrially-based service, I can't complain one bit about the service and reliability that I've had with the Hughes Ka system that I've had for over 2 years. I've considered service from the cell phone carriers. In the last year, 3G service finally hit my area, but the 3G service has deeper peak time slow downs than I'm getting from the satellite service, and the bandwidth download limits are considerably lower than those from the satellite. With the 3G service, the limit is 5 GB per month, and the charges for going over are quite excessive. With the satellite, I get 650 MB per day plus the unlimited download period of 5 hours each night. Hughes allows users to go over their daily limit once per month and to restore complete service with a free restore token. Going over the limit more than once a month either costs $8 to buy another restore token or results in a 24 hour slowdown to sub-dial up speeds.

I've spent quite a bit of time on Hughes forums. Most who are dissatisfied are people who try to squeeze everything they can out of a $60 basic plan. As I said above, the quality and consistency of the service increases significantly as you move up to more expensive plans. Again, it's not a cable connection, but the quality of service has been very good with my Hughes Elite plan.
    Les

17. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I got certified to install Wild Blue. They told us in training that if the customer could get cable/dsl/wireless, we were doing them a disservice by installing Satellite internet. :)

I have heard it's getting a lot better/faster though.

18. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    I have Hughes Net since the only other option would be dial-up. It runs about $90 per month for a 425MB per day limit. It doesn't have blazing speed but for most things it is fast enough. The real problem is the daily limit which is easy to exceed, especially with two teenagers. If you exceed the limit for any 24 hour period, they slow you to dial-up speed for the next 24 unless you use your one/month free reset token or pay $10.50 to be reset. Forget downloading music, videos, large program updates. Playing online games is not going to happen either both because of the limit and the time delay between land and satellite.

19. rjgogo

rjgogo Cool Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Perfect summation of the Hughes Experience, I to have Hughes and my experience has been about the same. knock on wood.

That said, the OP is not really going to be able to VOD over the network, I don't know of any way to schedule the times on the DVR. I don't even have mine hooked up so there is no way it can throw me in FAP.

20. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I didn't read the whole thing but in a lot of places (such as here) you cannot order a "dry pair" any longer. They support the ones already installed but will not do new ones.