1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite lobbying push could mean higher cable bills

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by vansmack, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vansmack

vansmack Godfather

Aug 14, 2006
    Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but I didn't see it in the DirecTV threads and I rarely visit the others. I love a good tax discussion.

Satellite lobbying push could mean higher cable bills
    Posted by Anne Broache | 3 comments

WASHINGTON--In a political gambit that could lead to higher fees for cable providers and their subscribers, the satellite television industry urged politicians on Thursday to enact a federal law prohibiting "discriminatory" taxes.

DirecTV and Dish Network executives argue that the federal legislation is needed because six states--Ohio, Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Utah--have enacted laws in recent years that impose steeper taxes on satellite subscribers than on cable subscribers. They claim that those laws are a direct result of cable industry lobbying in an effort to make their prices more competitive with those charged by satellite operators.

There's more...

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yep, I remember the big cable guys telling my state about all of the revenue the state could get if they would tax the SAT customers.
    The thing is the cables taxes are for the use of the public right-a-way [the utility poles] which the SAT providers don't use.
    I guess some states swallowed the BS.

3. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Tell me about it.

4. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    This comment on the article hits the nail on the head.....

Posted on: February 15, 2008, 3:29 PM PST
    Story: Satellite lobbying push could mean higher cable bills

The article utterly failed to deliver on it's headline. It failed to explain how preventing satellite TV from being unilaterally taxed is going to cause cable bills to go up.

How would that work??? Cable companys raise rates in a fit because they couldn't get congress to put a tax on their competitors?

The article read more like a PR release from the cable industry that was repackaged by a lazy reporter to try to make it look like they were reporting some real news.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007

Perhaps it was meaning more the fact that the Sat tax would not go away, but to be fair a cable tax would also be instated, aka raising the costs of cable since there is an additional tax.

6. d max82

d max82 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    I hope this bill gets fast-tracked, with that added language that cable rates can't go up to match satellite.

Not sure where they got Florida's tax rate of 10.8%, Its actually 13.17%.
    And it REALLY sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.