1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Satellite operator Dish Network has come out against the proposed merger of Comcast and Time Warner

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Satellite operator Dish Network has come out against the proposed merger of Comcast and Time Warner Cable.

(Time.com) - Satellite operator Dish Network has come out against the proposed merger of Comcast and Time Warner Cable. The pay-TV giant voiced its concerns with the pending merger in a meeting with the Federal Communications Commission earlier this week, according to a filing released Wednesday....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Somebody hand Charlie a crying towel.

3. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yea really, poor charlie, just pissed because no one wants to merge with him.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Another instance where everyone else stands back and let's Charlie take the heat.

5. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Charlie hasn't done anything to benifit his customers or anyone but himself.
    So let him take the heat.
    Only thing he's worried about is less money in his own pocket.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I don't think Mr. Ergen is worried about money.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Fools rush in? Dunno, just offering a different viewpoint.
    BTW, "let's" is a contraction for "let us".

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is easy to throw insults. When I make as much as Mr Ergen I'll tell him how to run his business.

9. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I'd bet Dish would be using the same reasons AT&T are using why a merger is good if it was Dish/DIRECTV that wanted to merge.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

1 person likes this.
  10. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    We are very well aware how charlie runs his business. So is Tivo, Rainbow Media, The State of Washington, CBS, Fox, Disney , Sprint and Harbinger.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Demonstrating once again how easy it is to throw insults. :rolleyes:

12. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    It's truth , not my fault they are insulting.
    But it's not for you to take personal. It's only Charlie.

1 person likes this.
  13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So ... do YOU support the merger of Time Warner and Comcast or do you agree with Mr Ergen?

(Or is your hatred of Mr Ergen and DISH Network that can be found throughout your posts to the point where you agree with the merger of Time Warner and Comcast just because DISH is against it?)

14. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I support the merger just fine. I have no issues with it.
    I would have supported a Dish/Directv merger .

Mergers I don't support 100% anymore are cell phone companies.
    Charlie is just acting like a baby, because he screwed everyone he did business with, so now he's up Sh! T creek, and getting desperate. If Directv, and Att, weren't in the process of a merger along with Comcast and Time warner, and Charlie would have sealed the deal with sprint, You think he would care? I dont!

Charlie needed a merger more than anyone, stated many times for dishes survival, and sprint took less money to get away from Dish, What's that tell you?

15. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Dish and DirecTV did try to merge... and I could be wrong, but I thought the cable companies didn't like it. Turnabout is fair play with the shoe on the other foot (and other one-liners I haven't thought of).

1 person likes this.
  16. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Update: Dish Network, Comcast trade jabs at Senate hearing

(Bizjournals.com) - The mega-Comcast would serve nearly half of the residential Internet customers in the nation, Jeffrey Blum, Dish Network's senior vice president and deputy general counsel, told the panel Wednesday.

Comcast Executive Vice President David Cohen said it would be more like 30 percent, according to recent data from the Federal Communications Commission.

Either way, Dish's Blum said, if Comcast were to serve a majority of broadband customers, that would pose a threat to companies like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu — all of which are competing for traditional TV viewers, but need to go through Comcast’s broadband to get to consumers....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    David Cohen, executive vice president of Comcast.

17. koralis

koralis Godfather

Aug 10, 2005
    "
    Either way, Dish's Blum said, if Comcast were to serve a majority of broadband customers, that would pose a threat to companies like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu — all of which are competing for traditional TV viewers, but need to go through Comcast’s broadband to get to consumers.

This would incentivize Comcast to weaken the connection and service of their competitors, Blum said.

Cohen rebutted, saying it’s not in Comcast’s business interest to block or degrade any content, “whether competitive or not,” adding that Comcast would “lose customers” if it did so."

Um, in what world, Mr Cohen? You're assuming that Comcast does not have an effective Monopoly in the areas where they serve their customers. Customer choice to cease doing business with Comcast is only valid if there's a viable alternative. There might be alternatives in some select areas (verizon fios, google fibre, etc) but by and large, the cable company has a monopoly by virtue of an agreement with the towns/cities in which the customers reside.

Comcast even notes this when saying that Comcast and Time Warner do not compete with each other for a given customer, therefor allowing them to merge won't reduce competition {in the cable and ISP space}

However, Dish's point that it gives Comcast leverage to screw over content providers is another issue entirely.

18. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    I had the same thought when I read that line.