1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite Providers Must Drop All Tucson Locals?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SpencerKat, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpencerKat

SpencerKat Mentor

Apr 24, 2002
    The following message was on my most recent cable bill (we have basic cable so that we can have broadband Internet access):
    "We are aware that all satellite providers must drop the local Tucson Channels. Our Cable TV regulations are different. We will continue to carry the local Tucson channels. We hope you enjoy the continued service of your local Tucson channels!"

Anyone know anything about this? Is it true? Is it nationwide, or only in Tucson, or only in Arizona?

Thanks for any information.

Richard

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you are in the Tuscon DMA satellite can carry Tuscon locals. The cable provider is full of stories.

3. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    Actually I think you were looking for another word that begins with "S" to describe what the cable provider is full of.

4. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I would forward the bill to the legal department at both DBS providers.

Then I would contact the consumer advocate of whoever regulates cable in your area, or the state Attorney General if no one does. Hopefully this bandit will be fined a substancial amount.

5. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Are you actually located in Tucson? Sometime people give the closest city but they really live outside the city limits. If youa re really in the DMA that cable company is in the wrong. I certainly hope that someone challenges them as SamC suggeted.

6. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    Good point, if he is in Maricopa, Pinal, Graham, or Greenlee county, then the letter would be correct as he'd be in the Phoenix DMA. But if he is in Pima, Cochibe, or Santa Cruz county, then he's in the Tucson DMA and the letter is bogus.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We are aware that all satellite providers must drop the local Tucson Channels.

Can't drop them unless they had them. Couldn't have them unless they were within the DMA. The only way this could be 'true' is if the DMA changed and the stations were not significantly viewed. There is no evidence of that longshot.

8. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I would agree with you JL. But as you pointed out they may be full of "stuff." In the letter they mention that their regulations are different and that is true. I suppose that it is possible that someone outside the Tucson DMA is getting Tucson locals via cable. As you poit out they would never have had satellite delivered Tucson locals. But any way you slice it the wording is deceptive. But that is par for the course for soem cable companies.

9. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    You don't say what cable company it is. If it's Comcast, they have no ethics when it comes to anti-satellite advertisements. I recently visited a Comcast market and was both amazed and furious to see TV commercials claiming the dish has to be adjusted constantly to maintain reception. Of course anyone on this board knows that's BS, but I'll bet many potential satellite customers just assume it's true and stay with cable.

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Huh? Why do you have basic cable for broadband? I've got Comcast for broadband. Of course the bums charge me $10 extra for not having cable.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Because for $1.50/month or so, you can get 25-30 channels including OLN and local cable access content that Dish currently doesn't offer.

12. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I have Comcast for broadband also and get a cheaper rate if I subscribe to the lowest tier of basic. I get locals plus a few other channels for, like harsh said, about $1 more than the internet charge. I NEVER watch it, but at least I could catch the local city meetings if I desire.

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    And that sounds like a perfectly reasonable answer to me - lower your expenses as much as possible, through whatever means (legal).

Of course, it doesn't help me too much - Sprint DSL / Local phone, with Dish. I COULD drop locals, but it is so convienent having them on the DVR.

14. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I have Cox for broadband. I actually pay LESS than I would for internet alone and I get a few channels that DISH does not carry---like MASN. And several channels I am not supposed to get come in better than the ones I pay for.

15. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002

I repeak my dish every day. You have to because they might start using different satellites. But in the end it is easier than installing new cable every 3rd Monday.

16. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    The part I hate is after it rains, when I have to climb up to the roof with the extension cord and the hair dryer. ;)

17. SpencerKat

SpencerKat Mentor

Apr 24, 2002
    Thanks for all of your responses.

I hope this post isn’t too off-topic, but people seem interested in the situation here, so I thought I would fill them in on TV, cable, and Internet life out here in the boondocks.

Regarding the possible dropping of the Tucson locals, we have a strange situation here. We actually live in a housing development in Pinal County, and Tucson is located in Pima County. There are several towns between us and Tucson, but the developer was able to “convince” the state to give us a Tucson address. Arizona is run by the developers, and they get just about anything they want.

Because of the developer’s monopoly, until recently the only broadband and cable TV access available to us was from a company owned by the developer, Robson (he also owns the sewage and water companies). A year or so ago he sold his cable TV and broadband company to another company, Western Broadband LLC, whose stated business plan is to buy small, local cable companies, “grow them”, and then sell them for a profit. Recently, Qwest began offering DSL broadband access and a special DirecTV deal, so we now have an alternative.

In order to have cable broadband, we MUST pay for at least basic cable TV, which was recently raised from $10.98/month to $13.98/month. The picture quality of the local channels on cable TV is terrible. Monopolies are great, as long as you’re on the end that collects the money.

I went to the Dish Network site and checked our address regarding locals, and it still says that we qualify for the Tucson locals, but that doesn’t mean that won’t change. Perhaps I’m naïve, but I find it hard to believe that our cable company would so blatantly lie about “all satellite providers must drop the local Tucson Channels”. I Googled this, but could not find anything to substantiate the cable company’s claim, so I guess that it’s just a matter of wait and see.

Richard

18. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    According to the EKB the Tucson DMA consists of Pima, Santa Cruz and Cochise Counties. http://ekb.dbstalk.com/TVMarkets/City Maps/Tucson.gif.

Pinal County is in the Phoenix DMA http://ekb.dbstalk.com/TVMarkets/City Maps/Phoenix.gif.

So there just might be something to the cable company claim.

Occasionally weird situations arise like this. There isa zip code in MD that is part of not teo but three counties. Some people who had been getting DC locals from one of the providers will now be getting Baltimore locals because that provider finally updated their database.

It looks like your Tucson address and presumably zip may have put you in a similar
    situation.

19. SpencerKat

SpencerKat Mentor

Apr 24, 2002
    Geronimo, you might be right, but, according to the Dish website, our ZIP+4 does qualify for Tucson locals. Our housing development in Pinal County butts right up to the Pima County (where Tucson is) line, and we are 120 miles from Phoenix.

We used to have the Phoenix locals, and we may have them again.

Richard

20. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002

If I was a betting man I would bet that you will wind up with just the Phoenix locals. But the whole thing makes my head spin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.