1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Satellite setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by raromr, Aug 22, 2013.

1. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    Trying to make sure my receivers are setup right. What satellite setup settings do I use. I have an HR44, 2 HR24s, and an HR20 with WH and deca. I just moved and so I have a new slimline dish that says (I think) slimline 1 on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You need a conventional (not SWM) LNB on your dish and an external SWM16 multiswitch due to the number of tuners you have. The HR44 is SWM only and has 5 tuners. The other DVRs can go either SWM or non, and have 2 tuners each. So your total tuner count is 11. You can't have a mixed technology system, so because the HR44 requires SWM, everything must run SWM. If your system was working properly at the old location, then hopefully you brought the SWM16 with you (the dish is the only thing you should have left behind).

You should use the movers connection, they will make sure you have everything you need and that the dish is properly aligned.

3. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    Sorry. I meant the actual settings under the satellite settings for the dvrs. I have the right dish swim etc. I just not sure what to select under type of dish and swim on the settings of each dvr.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    If you have the SWiM-16;

For a Slimeline-3 dish select the 03 SL-3 setting.

For the Slimline-5 dish select the 04 SL-5 one.

The multiswitch should be locked (unchangeable) on 01 SWM.

5. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    How do you tell if it is a 5 vs a 3?

6. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    5 LNB has 3 separate "eyes" so to speak. One in the middle , 2 toward the left with the one all the way to the left is much bigger then the other 2

3 lnb only has One in the middle

[​IMG] 5 LNB
    [​IMG]3 LNB

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Or for a full photo of the dish assembly and LNBF, for the Slimline-3 (SL-3)
    [​IMG]

And for the Slimline-5 (SL-5)

[​IMG]

8. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks. I seem to have the 3. Appreciate the help. The installer said it was a 5 . . .

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Are you getting all of your channels that you are supposed to get ?
    What does the receiver say in :
    Menu, Settings, Info and Test, More Info, now page down 1 page with the channel down button.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    "eyes" = "feedhorns"