1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SatelliteRacer...Can you help HD Sabres Games on MSG?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by BuffaloDenny, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    SatelliteRacer:

There is an ongoing issue with audio coming in on the Sabres HD games on MSG (627-1 and the NHL CI channel). If they get the audio fixed, a number of us lose the HD broadcast with the 721 Channel Not Purchased message. Calling it in hasn't gone anywhere in getting the issue resolved.

For me, I've noticed this audio issue for the last 5 games. The first couple of times the audio just came on at some point in the game. The last 2 times, when the audio comes on the 721 message then appears and we lose the HD broadcast. I can still watch the SD version, but this is becoming really frustrating really fast. Can you get involved and use your influence to see what the issue is and getting it resolved? You've already done so much for CI, but for Sabres fans this is ruining the experience.

Thanks, and feel free to PM me for any additional detail.

2. casper

casper New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Same here and it sucks because the games look so gorgeous. I stopped trying to watch it until the 2nd period because the last 5 or 6 games, it seems to have not come on until then.

3. JimH

JimH New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Spent 45 minutes with CSR. He added the Sports Pack to my account and the game now comes in??? He couldn't explain why but said he would escalate it...

I got a 6 month $10 credit to cover the cost of the sports pack through April. This should not be happening!

4. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    It's a known issue...has to do with the way MSG is delivering sound to us which is different then the other broadcasters. There is a manual workaround our engineers are having to do with their broadcasts....thanks for your patience....it is a known issue and they're working with MSG

5. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Thank you - but why do we get the channel not purchased message when audio comes on? I'd rather have no audio and be able to watch in HD than the other way around and be forced to watch the crappy MSG SD.

The bigger issue for me is that we should not be getting the HD broadcast yanked, audio issues or not. I had the HD version come in at the beginning of the game (with no audio), then when they turn the audio on, voila, I get a black screen with the 721 message. Makes no sense.

They need to be aware that whatever manual workaround they are using could be having other negative affects downstream, namely 721.

6. badhabit2112

badhabit2112 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    I had the 721 message earlier, but a Red Button Reset (thanks to a friendly CSR) fixed my issue. I"m now watching the game in glorious HD.

7. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I got that same credit after loudly complaining about several Devils games where FSN-NY HD was 721 for no apparent reason but SD was not. I'm really glad I got it since I didn't realize the sportspack was helping me get Buffalo games as well.

8. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    if you're in idaho, why would you be watching games on FSNNY-HD? wouldn't you be better off watching the games on the NHL-CI HD channels?

9. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Shouldn't matter which channel. I generally watch NHL games on the RSN channel rather than the CI channel -- I can watch the pre-game and post-game without worrying when the CI channel will be turned on and off.

10. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Here are two reasons:

If CI is running 2 HD feeds (home and away), it's difficult (sometimes impossible) to tell in advance which one is which. If you want to select a particular team's feed, selecting the RSN is the workaround to not having the CI feed identified.

Often, the CI schedule is late in populating. Even the night before, many expected broadcasts are missing. You may be able to deduce that the feed you want to watch (home team, HD) will show up, but you can't select a "To Be Announced" to record, and you don't have the time (or want to bother) setting up a manual record, and you don't want to have to remember to check remote booking the next day to schedule it. So you book it on the RSN (which should be turned on at game time).

11. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Guys, we're going to do a test tonight with the arena to get this audio configuration hopefully fixed.

Just a fyi, it's still be worked on but hopefully today is the day of a permanent fix.

12. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    This is great news. Thanks for the update.

13. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    is this problem only with the MSG-Alternate feed? I've noticed a lot of "we are experiencing technical difficulties" slide on MSG-HD and FSNNY-HD since they were launched.

14. JimH

JimH New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    That's great that the sound issue may finally be resolved. It does not, however, resolve the issue as to why a 721 shows up on CI for the HD channel. Having the Sports pack added to my account seems to be a work around for getting the Sabres game but they still need to fix the CI problem! Actually, they first need to acknowledge the problem. Every time I have called the no help desk they claim they know nothing about it and I am the only one in the country that this is happening to. (yet somehow they knew to add Sports Pack to fix it?)

15. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Unfortunately, your experience isn't unique. However, we got Satellite Racer! Therefore, I don't really care about calling this in, now that he's on the case. I have every confidence this will end up getting resolved, sooner or later, including the 721 error message. I'm guessing that if they fix the audio issue, they will no longer have to implement this manual workaround they are doing today, which would mean there would no longer be any negative downstream impacts resulting from the workaround.

16. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    Both excellent reasons and they are why I record games from the RSN channels, I rarely watch games live and typically set them to record the night before. And for anyone curious, on the Devils games that I was complaining about, there was no CI HD channel listed at all even though the games were broadcast on FSNY-HD. The final straw before my calling D* is when I had recorded a game that went to error 721 in the middle of the game. The CSR I talked to said sometimes blackouts work like that, which seemed highly unlikely to say the least. Checking on this board showed me that people who had sportspack got the game ok, so I sent an angry email to D* demanding sports pack for free for the duration of the NHL season as a backup against their mistakes. I accepted their compromise of paying $2 a month for it for the next 6 months (probably about 4 months left).

17. sandsmith

sandsmith AllStar

Mar 13, 2005
    I am not getting audio on (SD)770 and (SD) 627 for the Lightning-Sabres game-I have the H20 receiver and are aware that the game is available in HD(770-1/627-1) which by the way is fine tonight!! but I'd like to know if anybody else is having this problem with the SD feeds tonight. From I'm reading above, these problems might have been fised by now??

18. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    I didn't get home until late in the 2nd period, but when I turned it on the HD picture and sound were there! SatRacer, how'd the test go? Is this the permanent and final fix?

19. bosco10021

bosco10021 Icon

Apr 16, 2006
    Everything was working from the start of the game tonite(HD feed).

Must be the figured out the solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.