1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

satillite internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lartomar2002, Oct 19, 2010.

1. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    i hope i have picked the correct forum. i am having a directv dish installed at my vacation rv site. can i order directv satillite internet and call and and have it turned on when i need it and then turned off when i don,t? i can call and stop, change, or start premium tv channels and i would like to know if i can do the same with the internet. thanks .

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It might be better to call 1-888-408-3137 for your questions.

3. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Satellite internet is a different service, separate from Directv. It uses a different dish, also. Check www.hughesnet.com

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Depending on the availability, you might want to consider cellular internet access.

5. flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    ... and you might want to check the Hughes FAP (Fair Access Policy) which, to me, seems like it would have applied fairly in 1987 but not 2010. I think between 2am-5am you can download as much as you like.

http://web.hughesnet.com/sites/legal/Pages/FairAccessPolicy.aspx

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, it is better than say an AT&T iPhone/iPad plan. Bandwidth on a satellite connection is much trickier than a standard wired connection.

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I have HughesNet. You have to sign a 2 year agreement with them just like DirecTV or Dish. Doesn't matter if you lease the equipment from them or buy the equipment up front. That is what I found rediculous, if I paid $400 to buy the equipment I still had to sign a 2 year contract to get it. Otherwise, I could lease the equipment for $10 a month, sign a 2 year agreement, and they gave me the equipment for free. In other words you have ot lease the equipment for almost 3.5 years before it would cost as much as buying the equipment. You would be well beyond your contract by then.

Anyway, the service itself is decent. The thing I like the most about it is that the download limits are daily instead of monthly. If I accidentally go over it slows down to dial up speeds for around 24 hours then goes back to normal. You are given one free token every month that you can use to get back to your normal speeds if you do happen to go over (you can buy more tokens for $10 if you need to). You always know exactly how much your bill is going to be each month (either the set price, or it will be higher by $10 for every token you buy).

To me this was much better than having cellular internet service where the usage went by month. If you go over your limit you can't use the system for the rest of the month. Or if you go over and don't realize it suddenly you get hit with big overage charges.

In this case though it sounds like you are going to be using this at an RV site only sporadically. To me the 3G wifi access points sound like a better idea for you. Like the Verizon MiFi. These I think you can pay for up front and then just buy data month by month as needed. You still have data caps though that you need to watch out for.

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Also, check the Upload and Download Speeds as they are not close to Wired DSL Internet Service so keep that in mind.

9. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    I'm looking for the same thing (part-time internet), but cellular would be out of the question since I need it for a remote vacation cabin which doesn't have cellular service not to mention WI FI. Hughes sound's interesting but it wasn't mentioned if the service could be turned on for say 3-5 months and then turned off when not in use. Also, about what monthly rate are you paying for Hughes (not counting the "lease fee")?

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Here are there rates. Looks like they are doing a deal right now where you save $20/month for the first 3 months.

http://consumer.hughesnet.com/plans.cfm?WT.mc_id=05141PPChncom

I am on the ProPlus plan so I pay around $90/month ($80 for service, $10 for lease).

I know you have to sign a 2 year agreement no matter what. I do not know if they allow you to put your account on "vacation" like DriecTV does. I would recommend calling them and asking them about that. I would think they would allow this, but you need to realize only the months you have service will count toward your agreement. So if you only have the service on for 6 months a year you will actually have to keep the service for 4 years to complete your agreement.

Also, they apparently do not pro-rate their early termination fees. If you cancel with 2 months left you pay the same penalty as if you had 20 months left.

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I've heard that their Upload and Download Speeds are pretty slow compared to say AT&T's DSL so ask what their speeds are because I know 2 RVers who were more than glad to get rid of their service and now use Verizon's Air Card along with their 3G Network for Email, etc.

12. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    if i were to go with directv-wildblue would i need a seperate dish for wildblue?

13. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Indeed you will.

14. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Like Chiliball said, both HughesNet and Wildblue have their own dishes, they do not use your DriecTV dish (and your DirecTV dish can't be used by them). Their LNB's are much different as they also have to be able to send the upstream signal back into space to the satellites.

15. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    To accomplish this, the LNB/ODU needs an onboard transmitter. When you start talking about transmitting RF out into space, you fall under much different and much more strict FCC regulations. That's why under no circumstances will you ever see a transmitter on a Directv ODU (Dish).

16. iceburg02

iceburg02 AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    I used HughesNet for a few years as it was my only option at the time. Switched to a 3G wireless router about two years ago, and it was SO much better. FIOS finally arrived about 3 weeks ago, and I haven't stopped celebrating yet. Satellite internet is the worst.

17. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    he reason i stared this inquire was because i was having a louse experience with the at&t prepaid data connect card. i have since solved the problem i pulled out a usb extention cable plug the usb card in to it and plugged it into the lapop and extended the card to the top of the rv window and taped it there. problem solved improved everything. of course i will not be able to download movies because of the gb cap. i can always download them at home to my 1tb hd at home and bring them wih me when i come up here(1tb holds a lot of movies). i can then connect the hd to the wd tv live hd that will be connected to the tv and i will be set. thanks for all the feedback:)

18. VLaslow

VLaslow New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    The Virgin Mobile MiFi card is the same as the Verizon card, but "better." No contract, $40 per month for unlimited data, drop it after one month, and start again when you get back to the RV park. MiFi card costs around $150. Sell it on eBay if you don't like it.

Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint 3G backbone. So, if you can get a Sprint signal at the RV park, and, by the way, anywhere on the road, you're golden.

19. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    jus my luck no sprint in the mountains here. do have verizon but i guess you can't drop it after one month and then pick it up again like with virgin and sprint?

20. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I am fairly certain if you pay the full $270 price for the MiFi then you can go month to month on the data plan.